fodera & 2 misc

Discussion in 'Ask Anthony Wellington' started by pn02, Feb 10, 2013.

1. pn02

pn02

anthony--

do you think the average player can discern differences between a standard fodera and the artist model?

are you familiar with old school player danny bowens (the bottle, the revolution will not be televised, et al.)?

any upcoming dates or clinics in orlando??

peace and blessings...

paul
  2. Altrev

Altrev

Hi. Obviously, I am not Ant. However, Ant will be doing a 3 hour clinic in southern New Jersey on Saturday, April 6. If anyone is interested, I'll be glad to furnish details.
  3. Ant Wellington

Ant Wellington

Hey Paul,

I would venture that many expert players can feel and hear the difference.

I'm familiar with Danny's playing but I don't know him or anything about him other than he's played some good.

I don't have clinics or shows planed for southern Florida.

peace,
    Anthony.
  4. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs, Jule Amps
    Over the past two years, I've owned:

Yin Yang Standard (my first Fodera)
    Yin Yang Deluxe
    Monarch Deluxe 4
    Monarch Deluxe 4
    Emperor Deluxe 5
    Matt Garrison Standard

Plus I've played examples of all of the standards. I still own the YYD and MGS. I have a pair of Monarch 5 Elites in production. There are four different "standards" right now - Ying Yang, Monarch 4, Emperor 5, and Matt Garrison. The first 3 are bolt-on necks, the MGS is neck-through. The first three have the standard Pope preamp, the MGS has the custom Pope - so the MGS is kind of a different beast (and the price reflects it).

imho the standards are 95+% of the customs without the wait or price. They really are that good - fit and finish is superb as is tone and playability. I call them a "gateway drug" though. Once you play one you start thinking bad thoughts about customs. In my case I wanted a chambered body and really like either the dovetail or neck-through, so I spent the $$$ on customs.

As for "average player" telling the difference - depends on the player. Some might be able to tell the difference but might not care (due to price differences), others might not be able to notice a difference beyond the obvious construction differences.

Personally, I've owned most every nice bass out there, and the only things I now own and regularly gig are Fodera and a Rob Allen fretless (plus I have a Lull for gigs that demand a "traditional" look). All the other ones are gone. ymmv
  5. Register to disable this ad