1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Fodera are they worth the $

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassplayer1960, Jan 1, 2013.

1. bassplayer1960

bassplayer1960 Supporting Member

I spent time in nyc last week and tried out a couple of Foderas. They are nice but I do not experience a $1g-2g + difference compared to other high end axes such as F bass, Sadowsky, Pedulla, Roscoe ect. They play nice and seem straight forward, (almost plain Jane). Are they really better or is Fodera just bold enough to put a $5G plus price tag on most of their models and somehow get them sold? Am I missing something?
  2. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs, Jule Amps
    If you don't think they are worth the money, then don't buy one. Very simple.

Other people think they are worth the money, so they do buy them and gig the snot out of them. Very simple.
  3. gkbass13

gkbass13 Supporting Member

Where did you play them and which models did you play? At Sam Ash they have a lot of NYC's and a Standard(as of my last visit) and they all played quite nice. My Emperor 5 is the most impressive feeling instrument I have ever laid my hands on.

As all of these threads tend to go(use the search feature), it depends on you as the player. To me, I have no regrets what so ever about spending 7 grand on my used Fodera(more than i spent on my current car). But if YOU don't notice a difference from a 1-2k bass, then no, it probably isn;t worth it to you.

As for their pricing, again, please do a search. For the labor, ingredients/parts, time, and steady demand for Fodera instruments, they are by no means overpriced.

Just because hyundai sells their 4 door sedans for a certain price down;t mean BMW has to match it....ok, once the analogies begin it means I'm tired and rambling.

In short, my personal answer to your question is a definite YES.
  4. willbassyeah

willbassyeah

Well people pay 15000 for a beat up fender p. If I have the money I think its worth it.
  5. willsellout

willsellout

To some it is, to some it isn't. It's all relative to what you want and need from your instrument.
  6. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz Supporting Member

It took almost one whole day for our first Fodera value thread of 2013. Might be a new record?

Answer: No, they're not. Unless you're someone who thinks that they are. Then they are.
  7. SneakyJak

SneakyJak

I've played two anthony jackson 36" scale, they are amazing and my comparison for that statement is my ritter roya which is flawless

you are paying for skilled lutheries that meticulously build these basses and not cnc machined finished by hand basses.

There is a Janek Gwizdala video doing a tour of the Fodera workshop, try comparing that to other companies then decide if you think they are worth the money
  8. bassplayer1960

Hey Nostatic thanks for your reply. i just visited your website and viewed your gear list. Ironically, last week I played a Rob Allen Deep 4 at Rudy's then crossed 48th St and played the Fodera Ying/Yang at Sam Ash. I can't stop thinking about the Deep 4 and haven't thought much about the Fodera. Full disclosure, I gig often playing a Rob Allen Mouse and Pedulla Buzz.
  9. Angus

Angus Gold Supporting Member

Answer: Yep. Absolutely. Multiple times.

Doesn't mean it has to be for you. So who cares.
  10. nostatic

Disclosures:
    I gig both and they are completely different beasts. I can do things on my Foderas that I can't do on the RA, or my Lull, or on any number of other great basses I've owned. I've also bought and sold a few Foderas that didn't really fit what I was looking for so there is no "magic brand" or magic bass for that matter. But my YYD, which was 5 figures, gets gigged regularly and is worth every penny I paid for it.
  11. bassplayer1960

Thanks, i will give Fodera more of a chance. I am in the market for a fretted 4 to add to the fretless RA and Pedulla.
  12. nostatic

Disclosures:
    I avoided Fodera for a long time and was a skeptic. I then played a YYS and it just clicked for what I was looking for. I went in with both feet as I not only love the basses but also dig the people behind the basses. Great crew who make every customer feel like an "A-list" player. I own two now and have two on order. I've also bought and sold another four that were cool but just didn't speak to me as much. I'm really picky and have been retooling my playing heavily over the last year or two. My Foderas help to inspire me to reach further and deeper in my playing. They are brutally honest instruments, rewarding my good playing and shining a light on my weaknesses.

They are not for everyone, potentially for a variety of reasons. But while cost is an absolute metric, value is totally up to the individual. I have played instruments that cost far less than my Foderas but provided even less value *to me*. I know some great players who don't dig them, and that's cool by me. But there are also people who will criticize based on price alone, usually with something like, "no bass could be worth that much." Ironically enough those people will have some arbitrary dollar figure for a bass that is right around what their most expensive instrument costs ;)

No universal right or wrong bass - up to the individual and their wants, needs, and goals.
  13. gkbass13

gkbass13 Supporting Member

You rock, Todd.
  14. rogerwilliamsen

rogerwilliamsen

Don't forget that fodera has a very high resale value. You loose less when you sell it than other brands. I have sold two fodera basses that I had for a long time without loosing money.
  15. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    We're doing this again? OK, yes, they're worth it. I like 'em just for their looks.

[​IMG]
  16. Just Thumpin'

Just Thumpin' Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Manager and Partner, Fodera Guitars (as of 10/14/09)
    This thread appears in one form or another every couple of months or so. A search will provide you with loads of opinions as well as a good amount of factual financial data about Fodera as a company (in certain posts I have gone so far as to share our profit margins).

What I would ask that you consider is this...what model did you play? Was it properly set up? Were the strings new? Was the pricing asked for by the retailer in line with what's our price list (always available on our website)?

Sadly, the answers to those questions can significantly impact the perceived price / value relationship of our instruments. And then, of course, what we are doing is not for everyone and that is why there are literally hundreds of other options out there.

Please also know that Brooklyn is only a 20-30 minute trip from midtown Manhattan and, if you are considering a Fodera, we'd always be happy to host you and make certain that the Fodera that you demo is the best possible representation of our craft.

Kindest regards, and Happy New Year.

Jason

17. mjac28

mjac28 50th Anniversary Ed Sullivan February 9, 1964 Gold Supporting Member

Oh you dog you !! :) throwing this sweet meat to the dogs
  18. SneakyJak

SneakyJak

Got to say I've always had respect for people or companies that are that accessible/accountable to the general public. I've seen Jason's posts before even when there has been a certain amount of hostility. Fodera clearly stands by their products even when they don't need too i.e. this forum. can't see too many manufactures doing that.

19. mjac28

mjac28 50th Anniversary Ed Sullivan February 9, 1964 Gold Supporting Member

I don't have a Fodera but I have a Fodera preamp pedal and based on what it does for my plain Jane basses I can only imagine and lust after what the complete instrument would be like fortunately I don't live close enough to a dealer to try one because I know I would buy one on the spot.
  20. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass Supporting Member

I believe "do they appeal to you?" and "are they worth the money?" are two different questions.

Foderas are not my cup of tea for various reasons. That said, I've auditioned a few at length, and would argue that they most definitely are worth the money. The fact that I would never buy a Fodera doesn't alter the fact that build quality and materials are top caliber, and as is often true with "boutique" manufacturers, customer service is apparently top notch as well.