1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Fodera Emperor Standard 5 comments

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by otto B, Sep 20, 2012.

1. otto B

otto B Supporting Member

I would like to hear opinions about the new Fodera Standard line basses?

I had always wanted a Fodera; however the military don’t pay me enough for me to buy a custom made Fodera. (They should since I almost lost my life 3 times in Iraq). Anyway I am glad they came out with this line of Brooklyn made Foderas. I was able to acquire a Fodera Emperor Standard 5. I love the sound and the feel, awesome bass. Now I know why people always comment greatly about this basses.

There is not that many comments about the Standard line but one comment took me for surprise, when they were compare to a $3000 bass, for example the Roscoe bass. Don’t get me wrong the Roscoes are really nice basses, but it shouldn’t be compared to a Fodera. Now that I am finally a Fodera Owner I agree that there is no comparison to any other basses.
  2. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs, Jule Amps
    I don't own the ES5. I did however start my Fodera trip with a YYS, played the ES5 prototype at BPL, and own a Matt Garrison Std. I can safely say that the MGS might be my favorite bass ever. Bold words, but the more I play it the more I love it. That is usually the opposite with instruments. You have the honeymoon where it is all that and a bag of chips, then the cracks in the facade start to show and you start getting a bit dissatisfied.

I owned a couple of Roscoes and they are nice instruments. I never bonded with mine though - something about the body geometry just didn't ergonomically work for me.

I can say that compared to all the instruments I've owned (which is a fair amount), the Foderas tend to have the most even string/fret response, and they are brutally articulate and accurate instruments. They reward good technique and punish sloppy playing.

In short, I think they are worth every penny - for me. I have two customs and the MGS (and have owned and sold the YYS, an Emperor 5 and another Monarch). The MGS is just freakin' brilliant and I'm going to get a fretless version of it as a custom. I didn't get an ES5 because I don't dig the Emperor body shape, and I don't like 19mm bridge spacing on a 5-string. But beyond that there is little to complain about.
  3. otto B

otto B Supporting Member

I would had love to get one of those Fodera MGS but it was off my price range so I when with the ES5. I love both body styles.
  4. Docbass1218

Docbass1218 Supporting Member

Quite simply, I love everything about the ES5. It is an amazing instrument. I've had mine since June and the bond just keeps getting stronger.
  5. michele

michele

I first ordered an E5S but when the MGS came out I did the extra stretch and changed the order because it was so incredibly close to my ideal specs. The MGS is an incredibile instrument but I don't doubt that E5S is a fantastic piece of gear as well.
  6. Just Thumpin'

Just Thumpin' Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Manager and Partner, Fodera Guitars (as of 10/14/09)
    A very profound "thank you" from all of us here in Brooklyn for what you have given back to our country. Enjoy your bass and know that we are more appreciative of your work in Iraq than you'll ever could be of our basses.

Kindest regards,

Jason

7. otto B

otto B Supporting Member

I am glad that after so many years defending our Freedom we still see people still supporting us, My Soldiers and I really appreciated your support Jason. Thank you so much. I can also say that I am extremely happy to finally own of a Fodera bass. It has being a dream of mine to own one this amazing basses
  8. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist:see profile.

Why should it be a surprise? I've played my share of Roscoe's and my share of Fodera's (I own a Fodera 5 string Imperial). And I think that Roscoe's can be compared to a Fodera in a lot of ways.

Playability and sound is subjective but experience with quality and being able to recognize and respect quality really does speak for itself.
  9. Josh Pelican

Josh Pelican

I must say they look pretty damn nice. The tops are beautiful. They look like they would be neck-thru, but alas they are bolt-on. They're still pricey, but more affordable.* I wish there was a way for me to play one around here, but unfortunately that may never happen. Both the ES4 and ES5 are on my "must play" list. The few samples I've heard don't sound too bad.

*Of course, that's in my opinion. Not many people will say $4,750-$5,750 is affordable, but if you take into consideration that some Fodera basses are double and triple that, it certainly seems more realistic (for the average Joe).
  10. pnchad

pnchad

I've owned 3 Foderas - NYCE5 maple/maple/ash, MS4 (original BO 2002 maybe?) maple/maple/ash? and still have a IE5 36" which is a monster.

I've had everything and still have 18 high-end EBs + my DBs.

I just bought a JD Oracle 6 but it was because of the price & special specs.

There are lots of really nice EBs in the $2500 - $3500 range but there is another major step up and that's Fodera - once there, price is not the object.
  11. Robin Ruscio

Robin Ruscio Supporting Member

I keep thinking that I want an Emp standard to go with my custom Imperial. They're still not cheap but I really don't doubt it would be a great bass for a tone of tones and gigs. I definitely will be recommending them to pros or students who want a Fodera for a little less. The woods make so much sense in terms of versatility. I haven't been able to play one yet though, to compare to the two customs I've owned.
  12. otto B

otto B Supporting Member

Finally got to play the ES5, nice beautiful sound smooth and light. I weight it at under 9Lbs.

Attached Files:

13. otto B

otto B Supporting Member

Closer pics

Attached Files:

14. bassguitarthund

bassguitarthund

Unfortunately I have nothing really to add because I never played one. Was just reading the thread, however I had to post on this thread!!!

I have never served in the military, but I come from a military family. Most of the men and a few of the women in my immediate and extended family have served. So it goes with out saying I have a big spot in my heart for those that serve our country in either the armed forces or first responders. My bother served in Iraq. My cousin was there when our embassy in Lebanon was evacuated back in the late 80s and in the first Gulf War. My dad and uncle in Vietnam. My grandfathers in WWII. Another cousin who was a captain or cournel (don't remember) in the Air Force. I just wanted to say thank you for your service!!!! It is people like you that make it possible for us to enjoy are freedoms!!! Beautiful bass by the way ;)
  15. bassguitarthund

bassguitarthund

Wow!! If I am ever end up getting a high end bass (not in my cards right now), I will defently be checking you guys out because of that statement!! I respect your company even more now!!! More businesses should voice there support and/or thank you to those that serve!!!
  16. Robin Ruscio

Robin Ruscio Supporting Member

Are you sure about that weight? I have mostly seen this listed in the 10 lb range, and would be more inclined towards one if they were around 9. I didn't think they could get down that low with those big Dual coils though.

I'm sure it's well balanced like the other Foderas I've played in terms of neck dive, but finding one under 10 lbs would really make a difference on super long sets!
  17. Just Thumpin'

Just Thumpin' Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Manager and Partner, Fodera Guitars (as of 10/14/09)
    More of them seem to be closer to 9 than 10...

The typical range seems to be 9.25 - 9.50...

All a question of the Ash body and how dense a piece was used...

J

18. polymad

polymad

Besides it's gorgeous looks, woods, I found that the ES5 has a vast range of tonal options to start with. I ordered mine, which is a lefty with black hardware and a finger ramp, during my visit in the first week of August. With Fodera, you dont only just own a bass that is on a league of its own, but you become involved in the legacy that is Fodera. Fantastic brand positioning and strategy, I say that as I come from a Brand Development background.
  19. otto B

otto B Supporting Member

I finaly got to play the E5S at my church and that bass was awesome, sweet tone. The only thing bad that I wish I could get lower action.
  20. Baird6869

Baird6869 Supporting Member

Stupid Talkbass! I am very close to closing a deal for my first Fodera (E5S).