1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Fodera in Gospel

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by iwearpumas, Nov 18, 2012.

1. iwearpumas

iwearpumas Supporting Member

We can all agree that certain basses are better for certain styles of music. Does anybody think a Fodera is good for Gospel music?
  2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I think the right Fodera would be superb for gospel.
  3. iwearpumas

What about an ES5, or would I need to go custom?
  4. Luke Warm Water

Luke Warm Water Supporting Member

I agree with Munjibunga. Gospel is a broad term, so I will address my experience.
    I grew up playing in both white and black churches, everything from delicate ballads with acoustic guitars to finger-bleeding shout music with shrieking B3's and highly abused drum sets. What I have found is that the most forms of gospel seem to embrace a wide variety bass tones and styles. I played a couple of Foderas recently. They seem to have a modern and refined tone, with great action...a definite must if you get caught up in a praise break. To Munjibunga's point, some Foderas seem to have a little more edge to them than others. But overall, the that smooth modern tone with delicate highs would be great to use. From my experience, while having a bass 'with teeth' is important to compete with a B3, the greater battle for me had more to do with amplification and finding the tone that would fill the music just right. (I used an Eden with some 4x10,s...worked out pretty well.)

To be honest, the real reason I wouldn't bring a Fodera to most of the gospel gigs that I've done is because they haven't been in the best parts of town. Bringing a $10,000 bass to a gig in the back neighborhoods? I've seen and heard of TOO many axes stolen...literally from the church parking lots. One of them was a bass I just sold to a friend...unreal! But if you are responsible with it, yeah, it's great bass and I would imagine a lot of fun to use at a gospel gig.
  5. Munjibunga

Disclosures:
    I am of the opinion that an ES5 would be great for gospel. I'm in the process right now of mixing some scratch recordings of my trio, on which I played my Emperor. We do everything from Jack Johnson to Neil Young to the Eagles, requiring great tonal versatility. There's really not much difference between and Emperor custom and a Standard, and I think you could use an ES5 for just about anything, including gospel. Well, maybe not doom metal.
  6. iwearpumas

7. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

I would just ask myself WWJD, and he certainly wouldn't spend $10,000 on a bass, so no, I wouldn't use a Fodera in gospel.
  8. Munjibunga

Disclosures:
    Would J wear a $2,000 suit? Live in a $10M mansion? Oh, wait, I thought you meant Joel.
  9. hgiles

hgiles

I just bought an Ibanez from a guy who preferred playing his Fodera in church.
  10. gkbass13

gkbass13 Supporting Member

My 5 string bolt on Fodera Emperor is possibly the most versatile bass I have ever owned. I think the Emperor standard should be great for gospel, as well as numerous other genres and musical settings.
  11. iwearpumas

Thanks, yall have really helped me make a decision. Reggie Young plays Fodera now, but I haven't had a chance to hear how it sounds. I think he is the only bass player in Gospel that plays Fodera. Needless to say, Foderas are expensive and many Gospel artists can't afford them.
  12. sobie18

sobie18

I've played my VW Monarch for Catholic Masses in the past...
  13. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Supporting Member

They don't exactly give away Warriors, MTDs, or Ken Smiths either. I think the main factor about Foderas are that many tend to really favor the upper mids. They would certainly cut through.
  14. joebar

joebar Supporting Member

is it too early for popcorn? this could get interesting:bag:

i would have trouble bringing a 2000 dollar bass to a gig never mind a 10000 dollar one...
  15. grisezd

grisezd Supporting Member

Here's a thought, play a squier and give $9700 to the poor?
  16. Dr. Cheese

If it bothers you that much, sell the Squier, sing and clap your hands, and give it all to the poor.
  17. Munjibunga

Disclosures:
    That does it. Next time I sub in the church gig, I'm bringing the Fodera. I can promise you that god will be the only one who even knows what it is.
  18. Dr. Cheese

That is so true! I have played everything in church from a Ken Smith to $90 used Peavey, and no one who was not a bassist knew what I had or had a clue what it costs.
  19. Munjibunga

Disclosures:
    I took my LeCompte VB5 last time. Comment: "I didn't know they make basses with five strings."
  20. bassistjoe93

bassistjoe93 Supporting Member

Hahahaha! As a Christian who disliked and disagrees with Joel immensely, this made my day right there!