Fodera Nickel vs DR Sunbeams

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by maturanesa, Jan 30, 2014.

1. maturanesa

maturanesa

Which are the differences between this two strings?

I always use sunbeams and i like them but just wondering if foderas worth a try

thanx
  2. phishaholik

phishaholik Supporting Member

I've been using Fodera nickels pretty much exclusively for the last year and I have a set of Sunbeams on the way. I'll let you know what I think when they get here. I switched from Lo-riders to Foderas and I used the lo-riders for years. The light gauge Foderas I've been using are the best playing strings I've ever used.

Michael
  3. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member

I have played both and use them on my 6 string Tobias. Both great strings. Almost so similar it makes me suspect there might be commonality in manufacturing.
  4. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

I've used both as well, agreed, very similar
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. uOpt

uOpt Supporting Member

Sharing a wire supplier might also do it.
  7. Jaco Taco

Jaco Taco

They both have round cores too, so that's a similarity.
  8. Levin

Levin

I think the Foderas have a bit more... bite than the Sunbeams, and are a bit stiffer, if you have them in the same gauge.
    I prefer Fodera nickels as they are exactly what I want and need on both active basses with maple boards, as well as on fretless rosewood jazzes.
    I feel the Foderas to be slightly more bright, but they are very similiar to the Sunbeams as said before.
    They are like a better version tho' in my opinion! : ]
    I've played both the 45-135 gauge and the 40-100, am going to try out the Fodera 40-120 soon on an active with rosewood. Gonna be sweet.
  9. invalidprotocol

invalidprotocol Supporting Member

Both are in the same family but they are cousins not siblings. Both are excellent strings.

Sunbeams are smoothest of the two and most flexible. They are warm and fat with a characteristic sizzle in the upper mids when fresh but generally a scooped midrange. When well broken in their emphasis is in the lows and low mids.

Foderas are slightly less smooth and a little less flexible. Less fat in the lows, greater emphasis and bite in the mids and crazy upper harmonic content which really stands out with hot pickups. When well broken in they maintain a very significant mid bite. These are great strings if you always want to be able to cut through.
  10. Levin

Levin

^
    Dude seriously! I applaud your review, that's exactly how it is :D thanks
    haha, just became glad someone formulated it like how it really is
  11. Dredmahawkus

Dredmahawkus Supporting Member

I thought they were much deeper then the sunbeams....I love Fodera strings....I tried sunbeams for about 8 minutes...they were very thin sounding vs the Foderas I thought.
    sunbeams are a bit too loose tension for me too...the Foderas seem to be perfect in that dept. for me anyway....The Fodera also have this little grippyness to the feel that I love...no other string has that feel at all....but it smooths out after a month or so to become about as smooth as the sunbeams.
    Fodera nickel I think are my favorite string next to the old 8250 fenders they used to make with the grey silks....back when Fender cared about how their strings sounded.
  12. Just Thumpin'

Just Thumpin' Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Manager and Partner, Fodera Guitars (as of 10/14/09)
    There most definitely is not any kind of commonality in manufacturing unless DR's strings are also made by Tom, Mary Alice and Rick here:

https://store-dqm62m0n.mybigcommerce.com/about-the-string-shop/

Cheers,

Jason

13. Emibass

Emibass

Media:
    Albums:
    I have 40-120 Fodera nickels on my Adamovic. I must say that the strings are great. And the B string is not floppy at all (34" scale)

I don't know if to try a 45-125 or stick to these ;)