1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Fodera NYC Empire 5 Information needed!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by paulitto, Dec 4, 2013.

1. paulitto

paulitto

Hi everybody,

i just got an offer for this used Fodera Bass.

NYC Empire Bass by Fodera
    Ser# 41708 (see pics)

Does anyone can provide me the correct information about:

-Build year
    -Where it was build ( japan, Us or other....)
    -The list price

There are actually quite confusing infos in the Web about this series.

Regards,
    Paul

Pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. paulitto

paulitto

3. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs, Jule Amps
    You could call the shop or PM/email Jason.

I believe most of these had parts from various places (bodies/necks from Japan?) with final assembly in NYC. For current pricing you can check completed eBay auctions - seems they are in the $2-3K range.

4. paulitto

paulitto

thanks, i just mailed jason.

Regrds,
    Paul

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. xabicho

xabicho Supporting Member

I owned several Fodera NYC's in the past and own one at the present. During my years searching and trading basses for these Foderas the same question came to my mind or I was asked these questions by the buyers. Here is what I found out:

All Fodera NYC models wood parts were manufactured in Japan no one was manufactured in USA. This information was gave to me from Joey at the Fodera Booth on Nov 9-10 on the Bass Player Live 2013. Which actually I already know when I called the Fodera shop in the past, but I just wanted to confirm with Joey. The wood was cut in Japan and then send it back to the Fodera shop in NYC where the frets, hardware, electronics were installed and finished.
    The pickups used vary from Aero pickups to Seymor Duncan and in some earlier models other brands. All Basses have the Mike Pope preamp but here it is a wide range of variety of configurations....From the 5 Fodera NYC's that I owned in the past the configuration was quite different in some of them.

One 5 was a Pope Two Band preamp V/T, Blend, Bass, Treble and a toggle switch for Passive/Active

other is V/T, Blend, Bass, Treble, Mid and a toggle switch for Passive/Active....

A 4 String was Volume/Tone with a push/pull active/passive function, Volume, Bass, Treble.

The serial # can be stamped at the back like yours or could be under the bridge like in some 4 string models and very early models they do not even have the butterfly or a visible serial # at the back of the headstock or under the bridge and just a little plaque inside of the cavity.

Attached Files:

7. xabicho

More pics of the ones that I owned

Attached Files:

8. xabicho

Here are few more pics I included few of a Fodera NYC 5 from another Tbr that like you was trying to find out about the history of his bass. We found out that it is an early Fodera NYC 5 and was not a serial # but just a little plaque inside of the cavity as you can see the preamp was changed for the Aguilar OBP3 but the pickups are not Aero or Seymor Duncan so I called the Fodera Shop and they told me that at that time the were using different pickup on that earlier models.

Also some models came with the Butterfly Logo, others the logo was not an inlay on the headstock and was just painted as a small butterfly following the name.

It is a wide variety of variations on these Fodera NYC models but this is what they make interesting.....Even some latest models have a Soap Bar pickups.....Like this one on Bass Club Chicago

http://www.bassclubchicago.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=FoderaNYC5DlxSpaltQuiltMaple

Attached Files:

9. xabicho

Here are more pics

10. xabicho

Opppsss

Attached Files:

11. xabicho

These basses are not longer made they are discontinued. Basically they were replaced by the now Standard models. However they are a great instruments. Regarding value they go from 2K to 5k like the one on Chicago Bass Club.

I sent you a PM.....

Javi

12. paulitto

paulitto

@xabicho
    replied.

13. sfbabali

sfbabali

The one u pictured in ur post is a 2007 or 2008 model, with 3 piece mapple neck, 2 band pre, i'm pretty sure they're Duncans, and that this is a great, smooth sounding jazz :)
    edit : serial n° dates it to 2008 (last 2 digits)

I had a 98 one with a graphite neck and ebony board that i LOVED (till i finally got an Emperor II ^^), and then i bought a 2008 deluxe one, same series as yours…
    It was a great bass and i loved it, only sold to buy the Emp…
    U can hear/see mine here : it's the actual sound of the bass in the macbook webcam while recording… I had a 3 band Pope pre installed, but the bass is ran passive
    BTW i bought it on here nearly new for 2400 usd, but the top had been broken between the shop and the customer, so with a top like that and in superb condition would have been more of a 2800/3000 usd
    I'd say ur's value is between 1800 and 2500 dollars, given the 24 frets neck :)