Fodera Preamp Pedals

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Jake Morris, Apr 6, 2014.

1. Jake Morris

Jake Morris Supporting Member

I'm looking to get one of the Fodera/Pope preamp pedals, and noticed there are multiple versions, specifically the 2000 model and 2011. How do they sound different? Is one better or worse than the other?

Any other off board preamps that are similar to that Fodera/Mike Pope sound?
  2. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

I have a 2000 and consider it my secret weapon, I can't speak to the later models. My only nit is that it is battery power only, so if I forget to unplug the input cable there goes 2 9 volt batteries (they will last at least a year otherwise) .
  3. Jake Morris

I can't find many of these for sale anywhere. Only one I found was a 2011.

On another note, has anyone used this pedal for upright?
  4. Thumper

They are rare, but I believe they are a major key to the magic of a Fodera. I get random Pms asking if I'll sell as (from as far away as England) but it's not for sale since I've never found anything to replace it. Good luck in your search.
  5. Cloverfield

Cloverfield Supporting Member

Is this true of all current Fodera preamp pedals as well? They only run off of 9V batteries? (If so, that is incredibly lame. Just saying.)
  6. Thumper

I believe the newer ones are dual powered. Lame or not, I could name my price for mine :)
  7. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

My 2011(which is the latest version) runs off a propitiatory 24v power supply I just sold it last week it is without exception the pest non tube preamp out there and I've tried and owned more than a few.
  8. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

9. Jake Morris

10. SirMjac28

That's a great price I paid much more than that for mine a great preamp for acoustic or DB is the BBE Acoustimax http://www.bbesound.com/products/instrument-preamps/acoustimax.aspx
  11. Cloverfield

Cloverfield Supporting Member

Fair enough.
  12. Jake Morris

I'm getting the fdeck hpf pre series 3 since I use my upright with an Aguilar th500 and berg cn112. Would the Fodera pre pedal sound good in that mix? Or any "electric" bass preamp?
  13. SirMjac28

The Fodera is a beast if you're primarily going to be using it for DB I would pass the fdeck hpf pre series 3 is an excellent choice the only pre I would suggest that works for DB and electric is the Acoustimax and it has one very nice DI but the fdeck is really all you need and if you can grab the Acoustimax used for a nice price grab it.
  14. Jake Morris

Wait. Are you saying the Fodera is good for double bass or you would pass on it?
  15. shwashwa

shwashwa

if you have a th500 and an fdeck you have all you need. there are some great upright tones in that tone hammer, you just need to experiment. i use the fdeck into the tone hammer pedal with great results (i leave my amp flat). sometimes i use the radial pz pre. also great for upright (dont need the fdeck with that one)
  16. Jake Morris

Ok. I'll get the fdeck first and see if it's all I need. But I did want a preamp for electric, that also works with DB.
  17. shwashwa

shwashwa

im sure its a fine preamp. i have a pope pre in an electric bass that i love. my only question about the fodera preamp is how is the mid control? i find the sweepable mid on the tone hammer and the pz pre very important, although you would have that covered with your amp.
  18. Jake Morris

Would the K&K pure preamp suit my needs better?
  19. ryanowens

ryanowens Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    If you are interested in a preamp for upright I would check out the headway preamp.
  20. Jake Morris

How is it for electric? Or am I better off just getting two separate preamps?