1. A Supporting membership is required to post items for sale in the classifieds

2. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.
  3. Please Read:Classifieds Rules, Usage Agreement, and FAQ for info on bumping, marking SOLD, and more.

Fodera Vic Wooten Monarch - Koa top

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by Jerry J, Dec 1, 2013.

1. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

It is time to let go of my very prized Koa topped VW Monarch.

The bass has a beautiful flamed Koa top and a really nice figured mahogany body. The headstock also is topped with Koa. The Monarch weights 9.2 pounds and balances like a Fodera should. I have the action set low but I'm sure that it can even go lower if you wanted. The gold hardware just works with this color of Koa. This bass was built in the middle of 2002. The Fodera teardrop case is in pristine condition.

The only issues that I can find is that the semi-satin finish is a little glossy between the neck pickup and the end of the neck. It is really tough to see unless you hold it in the right light and at the right angle. I'm sure that this can be buffed to correct this. Also there is a small bump on the tail of the body close to the strap pin which I am sure that a decent luthier can minimize or eliminate. I will get a photo of that.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[DEL]$6700[/DEL] $6450 shipped FedEx ground in the CONUS only. ABSOLUTELY no trades, please.

Please bear with me in getting responses to PMs and posts here. My current job involves a really bad commute and I rarely have access to a computer that I am able to communicate with.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2014
  2. TheShape101

TheShape101

Nice bass! I miss my one! Here's to hoping someone buys my Matt Garrison Standard soon so I can buy this! :)

3. b-for-beatles

b-for-beatles Supporting Member

Any spec? may I know the scale? Thanks.

4. Jerry J

The VW Monarchs are pretty straight down the line with Vic Wooten's bass. 34" scale and I believe 19mm string spacing at the bridge.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. lsu921

lsu921 Supporting Member

Jerry is a great guy; I bought my first real boutique bass (MTD 535) from him almost 10 years ago right here on TB. Oh, and the bass he's selling doesn't look half bad either! Koa is getting very hard to get these days. Nice pieces at least..

7. Jerry J

Jason, you are way too kind!

Koa is getting almost to the "un-obtainium" stage. I know that the price has skyrocketed since it only grows in Hawaii. Plus a lot of Mahogany is on the CITES list. I'm not even certain, as it is that it can be shipped out of the US.

Jason, this IS the bass for you. It really does smoke any of the top end basses I've ever played. It's almost too much bass. :D

8. jsb22257

jsb22257

what wood is used for the finger board? it looks like Indian or Indonesian rosewood> thanks

9. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Brubaker Guitars, Boom Bass Cabinets
  10. Jerry J

It should be Indian Rosewood like Vic Wooten's bass. But it is one of the more nicer looking Indian Rosewoods with the striping. It kinda looks almost like Macassar Ebony.

11. Jerry J

Hi Brad! It's been a long time! I hope all is well.

12. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Brubaker Guitars, Boom Bass Cabinets
    I can't complain. Hope things are good with you too.

13. sorgas

sorgas Supporting Member

Bump for you man...one of the nicest monarch ever seen!!!

14. theoriz

theoriz

Bump for this amazing bass :). Wish I could afford it...

15. jebmd

jebmd Supporting Member

Free bump. She is a beauty and seems like a great price. GLWTS

16. herrdruhl

herrdruhl craft beer mega-consumer Supporting Member

17. Lokire

Lokire

Dangit Jerry! This is one of my favorite basses ever. Seriously. Agh! :help:

18. kotzman

kotzman

I sure wish I could talk you into a trade...

19. Jerry J

Hi Jack,

It's not that I don't just LOVE this bass, it's just that I'm having a difficult time justifying keeping it. It really is the most incredible bass that I have owned. I'm jus thinning things out.

If I had the a 1/10th of the playing skills of Mr. Wooten then it would be going nowhere.:D Believe me, I have tried.

20. lsu921

lsu921 Supporting Member

Wow, I'm surprised this hasn't sold yet. Jerry is a top notch TB'er, and has some very special gear.

21. Lokire

Lokire

Surprised this is still here! People don't know what they're missing. This is easily one of my favorite basses ever. Evidence (me playing it ~6 years ago)!

[​IMG]