Fodera YYS owners

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by drcor, Feb 6, 2013.

1. drcor

drcor

Hello,

I would like to buy a Fodera YYS but in my country is quite impossible to test one...so if You are used to play one could You share your experience?

2. drcor

drcor

Anyone?:bassist:
  3. cnltb

cnltb

DO NOT BUY WITHOUT TRYING!!!

regardless of what it is you think bout spending a lot of money on.

If it is hear say and experiences you are interested in , find the fodera club here on TB. You'll find plenty.
  4. Stephent28

Stephent28 Supporting Member

Fantastic bass that sounds great, is precision built and plays like butter.
    After I got my YYS I sold off 6 of my other basses cause they never left their cases.

Having said that, it does have it's own sound that you may or may not like but you will not dislike the bass based on quality.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. phishaholik

phishaholik Supporting Member

Absolutely amazing basses! I had number 6 for a while and the only reason I sold it is because I bought Monarch at the same time and the wood combo was more my style.

It had the fastest neck of any bass I've played and the quality is top notch. I'm not a huge fan of the EMG's but the Pope preamp is fantastic and very versatile. If you like the PJ setup, you'll probably love the YYS.

Michael
  7. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs, Jule Amps
    I wanted to dislike Foderas, in part due to the high price. No way I was going to spend $5K+ on a bass. About $2500 for Zons was as high as I was willing to go. When the YYS came out I was interested as I'd been to Vic's camp and am a PJ guy. I still was hesitant. I mean $4750 for a bolt-on? My local shop got one in and I still held off. Finally I decided to go check it out as the shop was on the way to a rehearsal studio. I picked it up, plugged it in and spent the next 20 minutes trying it out. I had to leave for rehearsal so away I went.

I bought it the next day. That started a slippery slope with Foderas. I now have a Yin Yang Deluxe, Matt Garrison Standard, and have two Monarch 5-strings on order (and have bought/sold a few others). I've cycled through a bunch of really nice instruments but the Foderas have stuck. My playing style has changed the last couple years as well as I've been studying with Ant and going in different directions. I'm playing a lot of 4-string, and find the Yin Yang to be about perfect. I switched from the Standard to the Deluxe because I'm a sucker for a dovetail neck rather than a bolt on, and like the bit of extra flexibility with the Pope custom preamp. But the YYS is probably 95% of the instrument that the YYD is for less than half the price.

As for sound, it is a PJ and sounds that way, though the EMGs are a bit more aggressive than some. It can be mellowed with eq and technique, but I find ebony fingerboards to impart a certain tone (which I like).
  8. carlis

carlis

This suffices. :D
  9. Aljazz

Aljazz

I own a Monarch 4 string and now a YYS four string, and I can say that Nostatic is right... the YYS is very close to the deluxe one..... very high quality, super low action, smooth and comfortable, and I LOVE EMG pick ups. They are so clean and precise sounding, I don't know why so many people say they don't like them.

The quality is top notch.
  10. Baird6869

Baird6869 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Nobody is stupid enough to actually pay me to play their gear.
    Good advice, but a Fodera is one of the only brands I wouldn't hesitate buying sight unseen. QC is insanely high across the board.

Of course, before buying a Fodera I would ensure the neck profile, string spacing, PU config, etc. are consistent with what you actually like.

In any case, I have a Emperor 5 Standard that is making me rethink all of my other basses. I think a YYS is my next... After I sell a few others.

I am fortunate that I have a friend that owns a couple of custom Foderas that I have played.... The customs are amazing, but the Standards IMO are just as nice.... If you don't need set neck or neck thru, matching headstock veneer, crazy exotic woods, wood PU covers... Etc.

I prefer the customs, but IMO the standards are great values (relative to custom Foderas).

To each their own
  11. cnltb

cnltb

You said it:
    If you know what you are in for and you like that...go for it!:)
  12. Just Thumpin'

Just Thumpin' Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Manager and Partner, Fodera Guitars (as of 10/14/09)
    Go to Musical Box (in Verona) and ask if they can get a YYS in stock so that you can try it. They deal in our instruments.

Regards,

Jason

13. drcor

drcor

I went to Musical box, I live in Verona:) Unfortunately the YYS has been sold some months ago...
  14. Just Thumpin'

Just Thumpin' Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Manager and Partner, Fodera Guitars (as of 10/14/09)
    I saw that you lived there which is why I recommended Musical Box. You can always ask them to get another...we do continue to make the YYS in small batches each year.

Kindest regards,

J
  15. drcor

drcor

Thanks a lot for Your replies!

I ordered one in Germany:hyper:

Can't wait:bassist: