For a Fretless, D'Addario black tape wounds or GHS black tape wounds?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Alex E, Jan 14, 2013.

1. Alex E

Alex E

My apologies if this question is overkill, I can find comparisons galore on strings for a Fretless, but I was unable to find specifics on which of the black nylon tape wounds are better: D'Addario vs GHS.

There are the ONLY TWO I'm researching for now. For those of you who have experience with both of these specific models, I'd like input please.

Which one of the two give more of the Mwahhh and zing of a Fretless?
  2. Tele295

Tele295

I've used the GHS, and they're good. The mwah and zing can be more of a question of technique than gear.

I've not tried the D'addario black tape wounds, but everything except their orchestra strings (bass, cello, viola) have left me cold.
  3. Shakin-Slim

Shakin-Slim

I know one of the two brands are not long enough for a string-thru body, can't remember which, though :p
  4. Diesel Kilgore

Diesel Kilgore

I just bought some D'addario Tapes but havent strung them yet. Talking about my 2 go to string companies here, but I went with the D'addarios because I read that they will fit without modifying the nut.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. carl h.

carl h.

I didn't like GHS on my fretless - just no zing at all. Dark, muddy and lacking definition is how I'd describe my experience with them.
  7. LanEvo

LanEvo Supporting Member

Don't waste your time. Go straight to LaBella Deep Talkin' Bass.
  8. Billy Bassboy

Billy Bassboy

I have to agree, the La Bella strings have the sound and the feel. They can also be ordered from Carvin for 21 bucks, Bonus :)
  9. Jaco who?

Jaco who?

The problem you'll have here is they all last so long no one really experiments with different brands much. I've got the D'addarios on my fretless and they're really very good, nice and full fundamental combined with very quick response, something I could never get with flats.

The GHS are probably really good too. Big help, I know.
  10. Alex E

Alex E

Carvin? Tell me more about this $21 deal!

Thanks to everyone for their input. Knowledge is power.
  11. joelb79

joelb79 Supporting Member

+$10 shipping. Highest cost shipping for a single pack of strings that I've found. Its kinda a misrepresentation to say that they are just $21. But if you did order 100 sets, that $10 would be handy.

12. CapnSev

CapnSev Supporting Member

D'Addario tapes are some of the greatest strings ever created. Probably I'm the top 3 best-ever for me.
  13. Alex E

Alex E

Thanks for the opinion. You live in Coeur d'Alene! I hope you know how blessed you are. That is great town by a gorgeous lake in a beautiful forest. That part of Idaho is something else.

I think I probably will go with the D'Addario tapes due to the lower tension than the Labellas...... But now that Labella is making the 105s, that might be a game-changer, if their tension is not too high.
  14. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

:cool:

The GHS has a 105 E-string.

The others are 110 E string.

If your using a Jazz bass or something tighter, the GHS work well.
  15. jmceachern36

jmceachern36 Supporting Member

I had the D'Addario's and switched to the LaBella's. i found the D'Addario's to not have enough tension for me. The Labella's are thicker physically and also have a thicker sound with more power (or punch?) to my ears. Both strings sounded nice, however, I just like the Labella's better.
  16. FretlessMainly

FretlessMainly

OK, I know you said this:
    But you also asked this:
    Why have you not considered the Fender 9120M set? Most, if not all, tapewounds are rounds with a relatively flat nylon winding. The 9120M set is the "roundest" feeling and sounding set of tapes I've ever used, and I've tried about five different sets. Plenty of zing and growl. More growl than mwah, but you can get more with super low action if that's your thing.

Sorry, I had to ignore your first request to get to the zing/growl/mwah factor you asked about.
  17. pnchad

pnchad

+1000 on the LaBellas -all else are copies

been around forever

IINM the Fenders ARE LaBellas relabeled (could be wrong)
  18. billgwx

billgwx Supporting Member

The only tapewounds I've used are D'Addario. They sound great on my P-bass (thump plus some woodiness and zing), but at the same time I found them to be sterile-sounding on my J. They don't come in super long scale, but will just barely fit a string-thru-body bass...at least that was the case with my P, a '98 AmStd.
  19. Alex E

Alex E

Are Fender tapes high tension? How fat is the E string? I don't want to go higher than .105.
  20. Silver Blues

Silver Blues

The La Bella's feel awesome... can't remember about the tone, though. It's been a while. :scowl:

--Silvie

That said, I kind of agree about the Fender tapes, they sound unlike the others and may work well for you. A little growl with your mwah in a fretless is bliss.
  21. GM60466

GM60466

Labella are my first choice followed by Rotosound tape wounds.