1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

For people who own and play fretted and fretless basses...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassybill, Sep 30, 2012.

?

How much of your playing is on FRETLESS?

1. Probably less than 10%

31.7%
  2. Somewhere between 10 and 25%

22.0%
  3. Somewhere between 25 and 50%

22.9%
  4. Somewhere between 50 and 75%

6.6%
  5. Somewhere between 75 and 90%

6.6%
  6. More than 90%

10.1%
  1. bassybill

bassybill The smooth moderator... Supporting Member

Roughly how much of your playing time (practice/rehearsals/gigs/recording - whatever) gets spent on fretless?

Just curious is all. Please vote if you play both on anything like a regular basis.

NOTE - it's a public poll. Feel free to add comments, of course.
  2. StuartV

StuartV Out of GAS!! Supporting Member

I go back and forth about half and half. The last couple of times I played out, I played one set with fretted and one fretless.

I like to practice about half and half because I think each one brings out different weaknesses that I need to work on.
  3. StuartV

StuartV Out of GAS!! Supporting Member

Besides, I assembled my own fretless and I love the way it looks, feels, and sounds, and I like to show it off. :D

[​IMG]
  4. bassybill

bassybill The smooth moderator... Supporting Member

^^^ That's a real beauty!
  5. jay tay

jay tay

[​IMG]

As you can see, I only have the one fretted bass, it's only pulled out for the occasional song.
  6. AltGrendel

AltGrendel Supporting Member

99.999% on the fretless lately. I've found that I don't care for fretted basses any more.
  7. Gaius46

Gaius46

About 95% fretless. I virtually never practice with my fretted basses and at gigs only use them for songs that absolutely require a fretted bass.
  8. nickbass79

nickbass79

I pretty much alternate practicing fretless and fretted every other day, some days focusing more on my fretless because its a 6er.
  9. Matthew_84

Matthew_84

It depends. I chose 25 - 50. There was a time where I was 100% fretless for months, but I have re-designed my goals into roughly a three-year plan. This put fretless playing off until about the halfway point of the plan, but at that point it will be about 100% again. I will pick it up occasionally before then just to keep my chops decent and for the odd song, but that's it.
  10. MD

MD

I own a fretted bass but never play it (craigslist).
    No 100%?
  11. meatwad

meatwad Supporting Member

My fretless hasn't seen daylight in ages. For nearly a year, it was the only bass I played. I would sometimes slide up to notes EXCESSIVELY, in all the wrong places, just to piss off a certain guitarist. Don't worry, he deserved it. He was one of those "I swing my hips to the dive of the whammy bar" type guys.
  12. Grateful

Grateful Supporting Member

In my current main project (Blues/rock), it would be in the 10-25% range. On my other, part time project (Jazz/Gypsy), it's the 75-90% range
  13. abstractart06

abstractart06

Wow!, that is one fine looking instrument. Very classy.
  14. smperry

smperry Moderator Supporting Member

I've done more gigs on fretted, but probably play them equal amounts.
  15. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Wizardry! Supporting Member

I probably play fretless less than 20% these days.

Need to up it, really.
  16. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin' Supporting Member

It depends on the group I'm playing with, and the material being performed. Here are pics of the fretless basses I've owned (still have the Godin):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

One interesting side effect of playing fretless is that I no longer have fretted basses with "medium jumbo" frets. All three of them have small guitar frets.
  17. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Wizardry! Supporting Member

Dang! That Godin is lovely!
  18. dhsierra1

dhsierra1

including double bass my fretless work is around 75%. I use a fretless P w/flats and a Turner Renaissance RB-4 fretless.

That said, there are times when that ker-thunk and ke-rang of a fretted J with roundwounds are what the doctor ordered, though I don't go for the Marcus Miller or Chris Squire sound so much, more the Berry Oakley to JPJ range of things.
  19. kreider204

kreider204 Supporting Member

Upright: 75%
    Fretless: 20%
    Fretted: 5% (even that's a bit generous)

I'm mostly playing with my college's concert band (upright) and jazz ensemble (mix of upright and fretless) these days. I dust of my fretted bass once in a while to play along with CDs, but that's about it.
  20. Dan B

Dan B

Right now, less than 10% because my only fretless is in dire need of a proper set up and neck refurbishment.

It's a Peavey Grind that had a ghetto defret job; I bought it for the intention to learn fretless, and while it does that job just fine, its action is WAY too high and the neck is screwed up from sitting in the previous owner's closet for 5 years.