1. Classifieds Rules, Usage Agreement, and FAQ

A Supporting membership is required to post items for sale in the classifieds

New posts to classifieds threads will only bump the thread once every 24 hours. Posts made before 24 hours since the last bump, will not bump the thread.

For Sale: 1980 Japanese-made "Vega" solidbody bass, imported by Martin

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by Andy FitzGibbon, Jan 4, 2014.

1. Andy FitzGibbon

Andy FitzGibbon Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Professional Luthier
    This bass is an odd one, and probably quite rare- for what that's worth, which isn't a lot. In talking to Michael Wright ("The Different Strummer" in Vintage Guitar) the best we can figure is that it was made by Matsumoku in Japan, presumably for C. F. Martin, in 1980. At the time, Martin owned both the Vega and Goya trade names, and imported instruments under both names. This particular style of bass, which was also sold in a Goya-branded version, seems to have been a "budget" version of Martin's short-lived EB-18 solidbody basses- the Goya versions are identical, other than the peghead shape, which mimics the "Stauffer-esque" peghead of the EB-18.

This bass was made in 1980, and Martin sold off the Vega trade name shortly thereafter, so it's likely that only one batch with the "Vega" peghead was made. I have seen several Goya guitars and basses in this style, but this is the only Vega-branded version I've seen.

Anyway, it's a well-made '80s Japanese bass. Neck through body construction, 24 frets, 33 3/4" scale. One P-style pickup, volume, tone, and (I think) a series-parallel switch. Rosewood fretboard, mahogany/maple laminated body. Good condition, with the usual nicks and dings of use, plus letters scratched into the side of the neck to indicate which frets play which notes (a la Paul Simonon). Frets were recently dressed, and it plays well with low action. A good rock bass for not a lot of money- $300 shipped anywhere in the lower 48.

Send a PM if interested. Thanks, Andy

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]