For Sale... mid to late 90’s Spector “SSD” B.O.B. 5

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by SMG, Jan 3, 2014.

1. SMG

SMG Supporting Member

For Sale...mid to late 90’s Spector “SSD” B.O.B. 5

$700 shipped in CONUS

This is a fairly rare Spector “SSD” B.O.B. 5 string bass. According to the Spector bass website, these basses were built between 1996 and 1999, though I thought the Stuart had the gotten the “Spector” nameplate back prior to 1999, but I could be wrong. (I would think Stuart Spector knows the history of his company much better then I do. Anyway, this bass was handmade in the workshop along side the more “traditional” or “well known” Spector body style.

The specs on this bass, from the Spector website are:
    B.O.B.4™
    B.O.B.5™
    B.O.B.4-FM™
    B.O.B.5-FM™
    The Bolt-On-Bass or B.O.B. as it came to be known. This is Stuart's first design based on a more traditional bass shape.

Offered as a single pickup 4 or 5-string or as a dual pickup 4 or 5-string with a deluxe figured maple top (FM), the B.O.B. was a successful model and laid the foundation for Stuart's desire to revisit other traditional designs such as the Coda™ bass.
    • Traditional style flat body
    • Single Pickup Models had gloss solid color finishes
    • Dual Pickup Models had matte stained finishes with stained binding around the edges.
    • Bolt-on neck
    • One or Two Humbucking pickup(s)
    • EMG DC Pickups used in both versions
    • No Neck Markers
    • Slab Pau Ferro fingerboards
    • 9v EMG BT Circuit (single pickup)
    • 9v EMG BQC Circuit (dual pickups)
    • Black Hipshot Bridge
    • Black Gotoh Tuning Machines
    • Schaller Straplocks
    150 TOTAL across all four models

This one is obviously a dual pickup 5 string, but it has a gloss finish over a dark, teal to pine green (sort of between the blue green of a teal, but darker like a pine green) stained finish. The wood appears to possibly be swamp ash by the grain pattern, but I am not sure.

In order to fully disclose all issues with this bass, I have to point out that there is a small area (about the size of a stretched out nickel (about as long as a quarter) on the back of the neck, near the body joint, where the finish is worn really low or off. My guess is that someone had it on a stand whose surface and the guitar's finish didn't play well together...but as Monty Python would say, "...it's only a flesh wound." This was like this when I got the bass. This area is visible in the photo of the back and I am have added a detail photo of this area further in the thread. There are also to very small nicks (or chips) in the finish along the lower edge, one that is approx. 1/8" X 3/16", and one that is about the size of a pin head (or smaller). The larger one is along the edge straight back from the last stacked tone knob, the smaller one is along the edge straight down from the last tone knob. Other then these imperfections, the bass is quite clean. I have attached a photo that shows both of these chips. Beyond this, there are a few other small nicks in the finish on the back, that are visible in the photo of the back, but nothing major considering the bass is about 15 years old. Probably rate as a 7 or 8 out of 10

The preamp tone controls are a bit scratchy, but I think they just need to be used more.

String spacing at the bridge is 17mm

The bass does not come with a case or gig bag but I pack really well.

As shown in the photo of the back of the headstock, this is number 009 in the production series of less than 150 B.O.B. basses.

This bass sounds great as it has the classic Spector sound!

If you love the feel of a Spector neck, but want a J type bass, this bass is made for you!

Attached Files:

2. SMG

SMG Supporting Member

headstock photos...

Attached Files:

3. SMG

SMG Supporting Member

The body is actually a bit darker green than it appears in the photos. Anyway, here is a full front photo and a detail of the neck blem where the finish is rubbed off.

Attached Files:

4. SMG

SMG Supporting Member

And a couple of photos of the back. The one of the body back shows nicks at the back edge of the control cavity and a small nick the belly curve.

Attached Files:

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Korlin1

Korlin1

Please put me in line first

7. SMG

SMG Supporting Member

On hold pending payment.

8. CeeJ

CeeJ Supporting Member

Noooooooooooooo!!!! I was up until 2:30am looking at this bass... I was going to send a PM on it, and fell asleep!! DANG DANG DANG DANG!!

9. CeeJ

CeeJ Supporting Member

If the potiential buyer backs out or flakes... I want it... no, I NEED it!
    If they geit it and not love it! love it! love it ! love it!
    I WANT IT!!

10. SMG

SMG Supporting Member

Bass is sold

11. CeeJ

CeeJ Supporting Member

Congrats Korlin!
    Let me know how the bass goes for you.
    If you don't love it I'll give you 800.00 shipped!