for what purpose do you use effects?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by kreider204, Dec 23, 2012.

?

For what purpose do you use effects?

1. subtle sound sculpting

47 vote(s)
    18.3%
  2. full on effect

30 vote(s)
    11.7%
  3. both of the above

143 vote(s)
    55.6%
  4. I don't use effects, but I like to troll the forum

37 vote(s)
    14.4%
  1. kreider204

kreider204

Just curious to collate some numbers here. For what purpose do you use effects?

Subtle sound sculpting? Such as a touch of distortion to make the sounds a bit ballsier, or a tad of chorus to thicken the sound?

Full on effect? Such as cranking your fuzz to 11, or maxing out your chorus for a warbly vibrato?

Both?

Neither - but you like to troll effects forums and let everyone know that you're cool because your effects are "a cable" or "a tuner"?
  2. superdick2112

superdick2112 Registered Spector Addict

My main effects processor is a Boss pedalboard with a tuner, noise gate (for my basses with single coils), EQ and chorus pedals. The programmable chorus is set fairly mild & is on all the time. The EQ (also on all the time) is programmable, and I have 6 EQ curves stored for on-the-fly tone changes.
    Occasionally I'll use a flanger or envelope follower for some not so subtle effects.
  3. MSUsousaphone

MSUsousaphone Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsed Artist: Myco Pedals
    There should be and All of the Above at the end.
  4. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Supporting Member

Subtle and full-on for sure. Often I just want a little rock out grit and occasionally I want a wacky envelope filter or synthy sound.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

Depends. I typically don't use effects because I can't be trouble to set them up, but I think I may end up using them more often in the near future.
  7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Sometimes I like a subtle grind, sometimes I want heaviness.
  8. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

That depends on what kind of music you play and what effects you use. I play hard rock and heavy metal music and I only use 2 effects. distortion and chorus. I use them both to grungy and heavy sound. using distortion with chorus widens and thickens my sound. I use distortion for heavy songs that I play and when it come to clean parts, I use a clean chorus sound. here are 2 songs I recorded with my band where I use effects.

This song I use distortion with chorus.
    http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12003852

Here's a song where I use a clean chorus sound for an intro and kick on distortion for the heavy parts of the song.
    http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12046937
  9. jason1980's

jason1980's

I only use effects on actives really. I usually use amp models to shape my sound and also add another set of EQ to fine tune my sound even more and to add alot more possibilites. When I am using my active, the sound will usually be what could be defined as "modern" and can sound pretty processed but it is usually what I am going for with my active bass. Sometimes I like my Sansamp sound but alot of the times I don't think it fits with the music I am currently playing (mainly on the really high end of the neck).

My passive Fender on the other hand I usually just plug straight in with no effects at all, it may sound weird that I do that but I do love the natural tone I get with it and usually going for a bit more old school sound.
  10. HolmeBass

HolmeBass Supporting Member

Media:
    A bit of OD or some flanger can be pretty subtle. An octaver into that same OD into a envelope filter with the Polytope is not subtle at all. Really loud fuzz to push the band into a frenetic jam is also not subtle, although I wonder if it's more the gain than the tone, still it just works.
  11. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

I am in a 3 piece hard rock cover band.
  12. Fliptrique

Fliptrique

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Mayones Guitars&Basses, Taurus Amplification
    Tube overdrive (ebs valvedrive) - full on distortion (taurus abigar) - chorus/flanger (taurus vechoor) and a wah (g-lab).

Ebs is always on, abigar sees a lot of work, the wah and flanger are mostly for fooling around. I plan to add a taurus octave pedal once it is released.
  13. howlin

howlin

Don't really have need for effects per se. Am waiting for an EWS Tri-Logic 2 pre-amp to get a bit more out of my passive P-bass. Once that arrives I plan on switching the TonePrint on my BG-250 to the Roscoe Beck octave effect. I like just touch of octave to give it a touch buzz similar to the sound that a B3 gets in the lower octaves.
  14. knumbskull

knumbskull

their main purpose is to prevent me from becoming overly encumbered with money. works a treat.
  15. backtobass

backtobass Supporting Member

I do VERY subtle most of the time but there are two songs my band does where I get my bass to sound like an old Moog synth. It was easier than adding a keyboard to our quartet.
  16. rhopper

rhopper

I use effects quite a bit while playing live as we play a wide variety of 80's covers. My most used and adjusted pedal on any given night is my chorus. I also use a poly octive, envelope filter, distortion and a compressor (used only to keep pedal levels in check only)

I agree with the OP, the tuner is not an effect. Mine makes a good mute switch though.
  17. Pandafist

Pandafist

Pedals do all kinds of things, and I like all kinds of pedals.
  18. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab ACME,QSC,Fame/Hondo/Greco user & BOSE Abuser Gold Supporting Member

Jet Flanger gets used in a few places because it adds to the songs' textures.

An Octave effect(down 1 octave) gets used LIVE when I don't have a 5 string(99% of the time) with me and either the song requires a 5 or the lower end notes enhance the song(s). The Octave here tracks well to low A and sometimes low G. Tracking below low A is best done with fast, short-lived notes or the thing starts "hunting". It is entertaining to see musicians faces when a low B is hit on a 4 string and then a low A.

Slight echo and/or reverb get used LIVE when we do a song 3 piece instead of 4(our normal). It adds fullness but not in the way an 8 or 12 string bass do(i.e. Tom wih Cheap Trick).
  19. mcm

mcm

Never been an effects guy, but just got a Dunlop wah. Been inspired by the guitar sounds of late 60's early 70's JB, sly, dyke, and funkadelic. The purpose is just to sound funky as hell. Dang it's nasty.
  20. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

+1 Hey brother I'm digging the new avi
  21. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive Supporting Member

Media:
    Most of our new album has me using a minimum of "tone shaping" dirt pedals, and building from there.