Foreign Effects

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by BassTapp, Mar 19, 2014.

1. BassTapp

BassTapp

Hey all, this is probably a question that has been answered multiple times but I'm new to the effects game and need a little advice.
    I live in Australia where the prices of many bass pedals are simply ridiculous so I've been wondering about purchasing from the US. Is it possible to plug a pedal made for US use straight into Australian power without anything but the right wall plug? Specifically talking about MXR pedals but interested in general too.
    Essentially can I just add any 9v pedal to my daisy chain power without something blowing up?
    Cheers.
  2. boomertech

boomertech Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Designer/Owner of FEA Labs
    9Vdc is 9Vdc everywhere in the universe. Just use the right size and polarity plug for the pedal and you will be fine.

-Frank
  3. BassTapp

BassTapp

Thanks Frank, this should save me around $50 per pedal!
    I assume the power in plug is the same size amongst all MXR pedals wherever they are in the world?
  4. sprag

sprag

Yep. I buy from guys in the classifieds here or ebay (international) frequently. Everything is universally sized. Ie a boss pedal is 9 vdc i think 2.1 mm and centre negative. pretty sure mxr are the same as well as a lot more
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. sprag

sprag

.... and the ozzie dollar just hit 93c US today so buy buy buy.
  7. GKon

GKon Supporting Member, Boom-Chicka-Boom Supporting Member

Yup, as mentioned before, as long as you get a plug that converts your wall output to 9Vdc, you will be just fine.
    when I moved to Greece from the U.S. a few years ago, I did just that with some of my effects and such. No problems.