Formaldehyde down the sink?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by CBgaragebassist, Feb 11, 2013.

1. CBgaragebassist

CBgaragebassist

I've recently acquired a job with my college as a lab assistant in the biology department. One of my responsibilities includes moving specimens from formaldehyde to a carosafe solution. My supervisor (who is my professor this semester) tells me to dump the used liquid down the sink. This struck me as a bit...illegal? Anyone have any experience with this?
  2. AaronMB

AaronMB

In some places--it seems, per my quick searching--it is legal if its concentration is reduced to a specific amount (below 100pm, in this case, or it must be disposed of as a hazardous waste).

If you know the concentration....in this context, I'd wager that it's illegal. Certainly don't quote me on it.

I'd do the right thing, but carefully watch my ass--considering a new job--while doing so.
  3. CBgaragebassist

CBgaragebassist

I'm not aware of the concentration. And it seems my professor wouldn't be either, since he says some of the specimens were there before he arrived at this college. A friend asked another biology professor about it and she responded "I didn't hear you say that."
  4. basscooker

basscooker

Disclosures:
    Owner, Chopshopamps.com
    no no no don't put it in the sink! geez that stuff should be put in the cafeteria's soup of the day. IIRC this should be an improvement.
  5. elgecko

elgecko

Formaldehyde is an EPA regulated waste and probably shouldn't be dumped undiluted if at all.
  6. T-Bird

T-Bird

Hi.

Contact Your local waste authorities or go to their website and search for the allowable concentrations.

You can approximate the concentration by the use the solution is intended to, or do some tests if it bothers you.

What kind of amount of liquid we're talking about BTW?

Regards
    Sam
  7. CBgaragebassist

CBgaragebassist

If he had done it similarly to the ratio that he's instructing me to do, it's a little over 74 ounces(2200 ml) in a 10:1 ratio of water to formaldehyde/carosafe. This is my speculation though.
  8. AaronMB

AaronMB

There's a difference. Carosafe is not formaldehyde (according to my reading).

Carosafe is often OK to dump into the sewer.
  9. CBgaragebassist

CBgaragebassist

Carosafe is the fluid I'm adding, all the old jars I'm supposed to dump are formaldehyde.
  10. Thick McRunfast

Thick McRunfast Not just good, good enough Supporting Member

From Alaska http://dec.alaska.gov/eh/docs/sw/Formalin_Disposal.pdf

Doesn't your campus have an environmental safety and health department of some kind? If so start there. If not, call around to some of the larger institutions in the state and talk to their EHS professionals.
  11. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Have you tried lighting it on fire? Does it burn?
  12. CBgaragebassist

CBgaragebassist

I've never worked with formaldehyde/formalin before, is this a legitimate question?
  13. elgecko

elgecko

14. oniman7

oniman7

It's probably (hopefully) formalin considering formaldehyde's carcinogenic properties.
  15. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

If it's potentially going down the sink it's probably formalin (formaldehyde is a gas), formaldehyde is quite volatile and is released from the solution, it's still not a very nice compound to work with (though still one of the best things around for fixing cells).

OP, check your local laws, your deparment may even have specific waste containment you can use.
  16. Thick McRunfast

Thick McRunfast Not just good, good enough Supporting Member

It's a legitimate question but not the answer to your question
  17. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Thou shall not F*** up the groove Supporting Member

Not a good idea. No matter how you look at it, it's chemicals and it should be carried away safely to a company that can digest it.
  18. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

Everything you put down the sink is a chemical.

Depending on the local infrastructure and handling, low quantities may not be an issue, it isn't like heavy metals where they can build up in concentration.
  19. hover

hover

Has no one seen "the Host"? Don't do it.

Seriously though, I would think that pretty not-ok to do. Your campus should have a regulated waste storage area for this stuff to be disposed of / processed properly. Formaldehyde is a carcinogen. Don't dump it into the water supply. Question it to your professor and if not adequately proven it's safe to do at the particular concentrations deemed by law to be safe, then flat our refuse to do it.
  20. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike

Where do you work,who is your supervisors name ,what department and what room is the sink in.

We as humans generate enough waste . We don't purposely need to make it worse .

If it's legal fine ,if it's not some kids are gonna have birth defects because of it . Or some fish is gonna die ,,,or a bird will....