Found a Peavey Foundation

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by D L Parish, Feb 15, 2014.

1. D L Parish

D L Parish

Hi all

i was out paying bills to day, and as i was coming home i stopped by a pawn shop to see it they had anything new. they have a Peavey Foundation there USA and Super Ferrite pick-ups.

it a maple neck black body. the body is pretty rough big buckle rash on back through the paint, and the middle knob has been replaced with a 3 way switch. still has tone and one volume knob.

but what gets me is it is so light, a lot lighter than my Fury? i Guess maple is lighter than poplar wood. if this is maple body refinish in natural would be nice all maple bass.

where the paint is worn off the back it is yellow?

i offered $100 they want $149. he did not say no but did not say yes. just started to wine like a little baby lol. so i walked off

i wanted to find out more about it before i pushed the matter.

I will go back in a week or two armed with a list of all that is wrong with it and re-offer the $100.

Don
  2. mech

mech

If the raw wood has a yellow/greenish color, it's poplar.

mech
  3. PDGood

PDGood Supporting Member

Wood varies in weight even within the same species.
  4. D L Parish

D L Parish

Hi i downloaded the manual and it is maple body if gloss finish or ash if satin finish, it is gloss so it should be maple. it is not yelow green but yellow like maple.

thanks Don
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. DavidEdenAria

DavidEdenAria

Maple body?

Are you sure?

Poplar is a very good tone wood....maple bodies are hard and bright sounding unless it is some kind of soft maple species.

I have this exact same bass, a 1985 black body maple neck Foundation with the 2 Super Ferrites...killer bass but mine is the softer poplar body that dings easily.

Necks are excellent, pickups, tuners everything great.
  7. D L Parish

D L Parish

8. DavidEdenAria

DavidEdenAria

Thanks....that was printed in 1983 btw.

I am speculating the maple body is not hard rock maple like the neck but who knows exactly what species?

I also wondered if the painted bodies were a different wood than burst or clear bodies.

I have an early 80's San Dimas Charvel 6 string that is a birdseye maple body.

There was definitely a move towards maple in the very early 80's by guitar companies....did not go over particularly well though in retrospect.
  9. D L Parish

D L Parish