1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a FREE Account to post and unlock tons of features!

Found a used EV B115M Cabinet

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Never_grew_up, Jul 9, 2009.

1. Prowling one of the used gear shops I found an ElectroVoice
    B115M cabinet - The one w/a 15" woofer and a 6" vented midrange - for $225.00. It sounded pretty good but there's a pretty bad rattle in the grill. I know it's the grill because I pressed around on the grill until it stopped.
    As tempted as I am to get it (maybe trade my Peavey 410 TXF for it) it's made me even more motivated to build a fEarful or something similiar.

2. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Disclosures:
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Swap out the EVM 15 for a 3015LF and you've got a great cab.

3. TalkBass Friendly Advertisement

4. Jim C

Jim C Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    The rattleing grill comes standard on these (after they get old)
    Some high denisty foam or neeoprene rubber at the right contact points fixes this; sometimes the aluminum corners will rattle against the screen grill as well.
    I wish I could find another close by.

5. mark107

mark107 Supporting Member

Jul 10, 2009
    I used those cabinets for a while in the early 90's. They sounded very good, but lacked low end, which is why I moved on.

6. rovito

rovito

Jun 26, 2005
    Maine
    I have a pair of these in storage. I have been planning on reworking them. Running them biamped with a GK 800RB. Low amp to the 15s and high amp to the 6s.

7. koobie

koobie

Jul 11, 2007
    Portland OR
    How's the dispersion on these? Does the 6" mid increase the usable off-axis dispersion much? Are these cabs a bit light on the low end?

8. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    I wouldn't want to rely on an EVM 15 for low end on a 5 string, but they have killer tone for 4 string rock or blues, where you don't necessarily WANT precise, high fidelity reproduction. I sold mine when I started using a 5 string a lot, but I kept one 1X15 cabinet because I couldn't stand to part with that tone forever.

9. bottomend!

bottomend!

Oct 23, 2007
    here
    I use mine alot for recording and it sounds amazing! I just did some stuff with a a ribbon mic on the cab and I must say that it had lowend for YEARS! Live, it's a little light on the bottomend but I got mine for $100 so Im not complaining. I'm surprised BF is recommending the 3015 for this cab since it's such a small box.

10. bottomend!

bottomend!

Oct 23, 2007
    here
    I use mine alot for recording and it sounds amazing! I just did some stuff with a a ribbon mic on the cab and I must say that it had lowend for YEARS! Live, it's a little light on the bottomend but I got mine for $100 so Im not complaining. I'm surprised BF is recommending the 3015 for this cab since it's such a small box. And... as an added bonus, plug your guitar into it and you'll be VERY surprised at the sound.

11. Sundogue

Sundogue Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Perhaps because while a smaller box would bump up the response of the lower mids, the xmax on the 3015LF is fantastic, as is the power handling (450 watts RMS, 900 watts peak, with a 9.6mm xmax)...and it's sensitity is 99.8dB, so I could see where even though the 3015LF was in a smaller box, I would think it would be an improvement over what's in there now. In fact I think the 3015LF would be an improvement over almost any other 15" speaker, in just about any other cab.