Found a used EV B115M Cabinet

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Never_grew_up, Jul 9, 2009.

1. Never_grew_up

Never_grew_up

Prowling one of the used gear shops I found an ElectroVoice
    B115M cabinet - The one w/a 15" woofer and a 6" vented midrange - for $225.00. It sounded pretty good but there's a pretty bad rattle in the grill. I know it's the grill because I pressed around on the grill until it stopped.
    As tempted as I am to get it (maybe trade my Peavey 410 TXF for it) it's made me even more motivated to build a fEarful or something similiar.
  2. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice

Disclosures:
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Swap out the EVM 15 for a 3015LF and you've got a great cab.
  3. Jim C

Jim C Supporting Member

The rattleing grill comes standard on these (after they get old)
    Some high denisty foam or neeoprene rubber at the right contact points fixes this; sometimes the aluminum corners will rattle against the screen grill as well.
    I wish I could find another close by.
  4. mark107

mark107

I used those cabinets for a while in the early 90's. They sounded very good, but lacked low end, which is why I moved on.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. rovito

rovito

I have a pair of these in storage. I have been planning on reworking them. Running them biamped with a GK 800RB. Low amp to the 15s and high amp to the 6s.
  7. koobie

koobie Supporting Member

How's the dispersion on these? Does the 6" mid increase the usable off-axis dispersion much? Are these cabs a bit light on the low end?
  8. Fealach

Fealach Guest

I wouldn't want to rely on an EVM 15 for low end on a 5 string, but they have killer tone for 4 string rock or blues, where you don't necessarily WANT precise, high fidelity reproduction. I sold mine when I started using a 5 string a lot, but I kept one 1X15 cabinet because I couldn't stand to part with that tone forever.
  9. bottomend!

bottomend!

I use mine alot for recording and it sounds amazing! I just did some stuff with a a ribbon mic on the cab and I must say that it had lowend for YEARS! Live, it's a little light on the bottomend but I got mine for $100 so Im not complaining. I'm surprised BF is recommending the 3015 for this cab since it's such a small box.
  10. bottomend!

bottomend!

I use mine alot for recording and it sounds amazing! I just did some stuff with a a ribbon mic on the cab and I must say that it had lowend for YEARS! Live, it's a little light on the bottomend but I got mine for $100 so Im not complaining. I'm surprised BF is recommending the 3015 for this cab since it's such a small box. And... as an added bonus, plug your guitar into it and you'll be VERY surprised at the sound.
  11. Sundogue

Sundogue

Perhaps because while a smaller box would bump up the response of the lower mids, the xmax on the 3015LF is fantastic, as is the power handling (450 watts RMS, 900 watts peak, with a 9.6mm xmax)...and it's sensitity is 99.8dB, so I could see where even though the 3015LF was in a smaller box, I would think it would be an improvement over what's in there now. In fact I think the 3015LF would be an improvement over almost any other 15" speaker, in just about any other cab.