1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Four set of wires on dimarzio jazz bass pickups?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Kyon`, Jan 26, 2012.

1. Kyon`

Kyon`

I just got a bas with vintage dimarzio jazz pickups(hex wrench pole pieces) and inside it there are four sets of wire for each pickup. I have a black red and a green white. Only the green and red are wired right now. Does it make any difference which set is wired in? Thanks.

Edit: Also the previous owner soldered the ends of the white and blacks together. The big reason I'm also curious is that the red lead is now too short and I'm wondering if I can just swap in the black. Thanks
  2. line6man

line6man

So there are eight conductors per pickup?:confused:

Red is the north coil's positive phase lead, black is the north coil's negative phase lead, white is the south coil's positive phase lead and green is the south coil's negative phase lead.

For series wiring, you will want to either use red as the hot and green as the ground, with the black and white leads soldered together, or, white as the hot and black as the ground, with the red and green leads soldered together.

Swapping either the red and black leads, or the white and green leads will put the two coils at a 180 degree phase difference, which would yield a thin and nasal tone.
  3. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    Its like a pair of pants. ;)
  4. funnyfingers

funnyfingers

5. Cadfael

Cadfael

I think there is a set of 4 wires per pickup (which also makes the sum of 8 wires) ...

Every PU has two coils!
    One coil has green/white, the other coil red/black wires.
    The best sound normally is, when both coils of one PU are soldered in series.

Green means Ground, Red means Hot.
    The black and white wire are the "inner wires" which are soldered to get the series wiring between both coils of one PU.

Are the wires long enough to change red andgreen wires? This would be the easyest way. As long as the red wires of both PUs are solderes to ground and both green are soldered to hot (switch or pot) it works and sounds the same ...

Or in mathematical terms:
    Plus x Plus = Plus
    Minus x Minus = Plus
  6. Jawbone

Jawbone

7. SGD Lutherie

Disclosures:
  8. funnyfingers

funnyfingers

So is the picture I posted wrong? I just don't see how the yellows work out? I wired mine without the pots and the 3 way switch and never wrote it down. I did that because they were all scratchy...

Also is what the op posted the same pickup? If I ever needed a replacement, would that work?
  9. Cadfael

Cadfael

10. funnyfingers

funnyfingers

I get how the pickup works, just not the switch especially since it shows yellow going to one spot when there are 2 yellows that can either be separated or together. And then you have that white line from the yellow to the other side of the switch...
  11. Cadfael

Cadfael

You also see it in my drawing ...
    The wires are not going to one coil, but to two coils (at the same time)!
    The coils with the same colours (wires) are also vertically and horizontally "mirrored"!.
    And they reverse wound with reverse magnets.

This means humbucking at all time.
    It is like a "double P Pickup pair" ...
  12. funnyfingers

funnyfingers

The PDF link in the site you sent didn't work so I couldn't see it.

The point of the diagram for The Duke is the options on the 3 - way switch. I just don't see how that switch diagram works since one of the 3 choices has Y1 connected to G1 and Y2 connected to G2. I don't see how that happens in the diagram.
  13. SGD Lutherie

Disclosures:
    Yes it does.
  14. funnyfingers

funnyfingers

Wow thank you very much. I couldn't get to it at work, but it is good here. Very good information especially the exact name: Schecter Monster Tone II Pickups.

I still don't understand the pics / diagrams there. The main picture only shows 4 leads coming from the pair, then the 3 different wiring choices shows up to 8 leads, and the "Schaltplan" shows only 4 leads.
  15. Cadfael

Cadfael

Ooooooops! The Schecter PU was a copy/paste error!!!
    Will be corrected asap ...

There are 4 coils with 8 wires.
    The coil wires with the same "colours" are soldered inside the PU! So, in the end you have "4 leads pairs" coming out of the PU.

In the wiring schematic (Schaltplan) I could have shown what happens inside the PU - but this is shown in the "three windows" on the left side.

The colours are only on the diagram to help you compare the switch(ing) diagram with the inner PU coils and the real switch soldering ...

The PU ...
    In the 1980s many Kramer basses had DiMarzio PUs on board. I think this "Double J" might be made for Kramer by DiMarzio.
  16. funnyfingers

funnyfingers

Cadfael - I still don't get how that switching works if you don't use all the wires considering 1 combination uses green to yellow and another combination has yellow to yellow and green to green. In my bass all the wires are long wires. All 8 wires are long enough to reach the switch.
  17. funnyfingers

funnyfingers

I can see that brown always connects to brown and white connects to white (when used at all)
  18. funnyfingers

funnyfingers

As for DiMarzio, I had read it was Schaller, but the Double J term helped me find more info as well.
  19. Cadfael

Cadfael

The new version of the Kramer The Duke Deluxe is online now!
    I added a little box near the PU where you can see that the "Brown Out" wire is connected to coil (Spule) 1 and 4 (as I named them).

Your "Schaller info" ...
    YES! Have a look at 3.1.3 (page 341 at the moment). There you see the Shaller colour code - and it matches 100% with the drawing. (Grün = Green, Weiß = White, Gelb = Yellow, Braun = Brown).
  20. funnyfingers

funnyfingers

Sorry that I am so dense. In that update, if green is just connected to green and orange to orange, how do you ever get the connection depicted in Schalter unten = seriell?