Fractal Audio Axe-Fx just added a few more bass amp models!!

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by JGR, Feb 8, 2014.

1. JGR

JGR The "G" is for Gustav Supporting Member

I was just reading the release notes for the FW 13 upgrade and now, in addition to the original SVT, they've added a Bass400, Orange AD200, and a Fractal bass amp model. I'll give them a whirl later today. The Fractal guitar amp models are really cool - they do idealized versions, things you couldn't do with a typical amp, so it will be cool to see what the bass model sounds like. Among a bunch of other updates, they have now added the ability to change the power tube type - EL34, 6550, KT88, etc. Should be a lot of fun experimenting.
  2. cableguy

cableguy

Let us know your thoughts........You have some pretty good pre's to compare it too........
  3. JGR

Thanks, will do! I was thinking about sending them my preamps to model...
  4. JGR

New amp models sound great. I got really nice results with all of them. I now have patches built on the SVT, Hiwatt, AD200B, Fractal bass, and the Bass 400. It's fun playing through a 1000+ watt tube amp! I think there are enough to warrant the price of admission for bass players now. It should only get better from here.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass

I thought one of the selling points of the Fractal system was that you could do your own modeling, that the Fractal system was capable of "listening" and building user originated models.

No ?

I have one guitarist friend who uses one, and another who is in the media side of the business and has some detailed knowledge of these systems, but no direct hands on experience myself.
  7. Selta

Selta

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: EBMM
    Which do you have? I'm watching one on Ebay right now, but it's the non-II model. I really want one of these, but DAMN they are *spendy*. I have a ton more research to do on them, as I just found about about them yesterday.
  8. JGR

I had the original Ultra and now the II. There was a big improvement with the II and it continues to get better and better. Don't bother with the original standard or Ultra.
  9. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

A guitarist I play with regularly has an Axe II. It does have tone-matching capabilities among a massive hoard of other things that blow my mind. It's truly amazing.
  10. Selta

Selta

Disclosures:
    Good to know. Now to find $2200 and get on a wait list :(
  11. Hamlet7768

Hamlet7768 Here to chew gum and rock. Still have gum. Supporting Member

Love to hear a demo of the Bass 400 model.
  12. BZadlo

BZadlo Supporting Member

I'm very interested in any first hand info regarding this.
  13. JGR

I'm snowed in so maybe I'll shoot some video. What's nice is being able to tweak the models to overcome some of the design shortcomings and also not be constrained in terms of clean output.
  14. jimfist

jimfist Supporting Member

Yes, the new Firmware 13 additions are big for bass. Right now, really loving the new Orange AD200 model (Citrus Bass). The new amp model algorithm is noticeably improved IMO - smoother high end and less flubby low end. The new Ultra-res bass cab impulses provided in the forum, unofficially, by users, are very good and result in a more encompassing feel going into Full Range speakers. There is an acoustic guitar sound hole Ultra-res IR (170 milliseconds) that is just ridiculously good. I can make my garden variety Schecter studio elite bass sound like a realistic acoustic hollow body bass, or upright bass...no kidding. I can only imagine how good it could sound with a piezo pickup.

The AxeFxII is a great processor for electric stringed instrumentalists (guitar, bass, chapman stick), but IMO its really starting to come of age in terms of features and sonic quality/capability. Once the Ultra-res IRs start coming out in big numbers, it's going to get really interesting. Once again, they've raised the bar.
  15. Selta

Selta

Disclosures:
    Ugh. Stop making me GAS more for something I have no way of affording :(
  16. Sartori

Sartori

Bass 400 as in the Mesa Bass 400?

That might be close enough to my D-180 for me to be interested.

Do they have any Sunn models?
  17. jimfist

Yes, Mesa 400 bass head, two models included, one with the low SHIFT pulled IIRC. From the release notes:

Been asking for Sunn amp models. Tough to say if or when they will provide a model. It's taken literally 4+ years of whining and bitching for Fractal to add these 4 models to the lineup, so take that for what it's worth. I would guess, though, that the latest developments in firmware model algorithms and Ultra-Res with longer IRs will attract more bassists - at least the ones who have a real need and can justify the cost. For me it was a no brainer, but many bassists just don't need all the whiz-bang. I personally like having the equivalent of a studio quality tone production lab in a 2 space rack unit for live use, but that's just me. I've always been a geek that way. LOL
  18. jimfist

List us your current live gear setup: stomps, rack gear, midi controllers, amps, preamps, powered heads, etc. We can go down point by point to see how much it would actually cost you if you could happily, willingly, sell off some of your existing gear. For me, I was able to sell my SVT Classic all tube head (blasphemy to many) and a few rack pieces and stomps, so it was almost a wash, cost wise. It's a difficult leap to make, no doubt, and I didn't sell off until after I was satisfied with my Axefx. Not everyone has that financial luxury...understood.
  19. Selta

Selta

Disclosures:
    Current setup:
    Bass -> Line6 Wireless => SansAmp RPM => FOH for my primary band.

Bass -> Line 6 Wireless => SansAmp RPM -> QSC PLx1804 -> cabs for my side projects.

Not much in the way of selling gear to pay for this. It'd basically be probably $2k out of pocket, assuming I sold the RPM. :crying: That's a lot of change to try something I may or may not like. I bet I could get most back on the 2nd hand market, but not all. Really need to find one I can try for an extended period of time somehow. Anyone want to rent me theirs for a couple of weeks? :smug:
  20. johnpbass

johnpbass

You may be thinking of the Kemper Profiling Amp.
    I've used the Kemper with really nice results. I'm glad to see Fractal adding some nice amp models. The problem I have with the Kemper is that people are modeling amps that make no sense to model - like an SVT350. Another profile that I found that falls in the "meh" category is an Eden WT800 with a TON of overdrive that sounds like it was done with some cheesy pedal.

The technology is really getting there though.
  21. jimfist

Yes. The AxeFxII uses a different type of approach called "tone matching" (an effect block algorithm) and "gain matching", which is pretty much done by ear. The idea is that you use one of the existing amp models in the AxeFxII and try to get as close as you can by ear to the tone and gain structure you want to emulate. Then, you use the Tone Match process to create the sonic "footprint" of the REFERENCE guitar sound you're trying to match, which overlays the one created by ear (without tone matching). This, in theory, provides the finishing touches that make your virtual amp model sound like the ideal one you are trying to match.

It does work pretty well, and users employ Tone Matching for everything from stomp pedal emulations, to preamp (mic and instrument) emulations, and full guitar rig emulations. You can also do your own custom Impulse Response captures of your own speaker cabinets, which in turn are used by the AxeFxII's cabinet block as a virtual representation of that cabinet (in other words, goodbye mic'ing your cabinet to FOH). Essentially, though, Tone Matching just creates a sonic footprint which can be overlaid onto a signal path within the AxeFxII.

Kemper uses a totally different proprietary method of actually capturing test signals through your rig in order to get a sort of snapshot that is later tweakable, based on that amp's profile. the KPA relies on these profiles as their engine, and is really nothing without good quality profile captures.

By contrast, the AxeFx creates their own "virtual" amp models, which can be tweaked and altered by the end user 'till the cows come home. These virtual amp models are always being further refined, almost always for the better, due to the owner of Fractal Audio and his never ending mission to get the best possible tube amp emulations. The only bugaboo with the AxeFxII method is that there are so many amps out there, and unless they make a virtual model of an exact amp that you love, you have to work with something else that may be close, but not exact, though you can work with advanced parameters if you understand the real electronic inner guts of how specific tube amps work. It's really a remarkably elegant, and deep processor, but for some can be a steep learning curve.