Fractal Audio AxeFxII - more bass amps coming

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jimfist, Jan 31, 2014.

1. jimfist

jimfist Supporting Member

FWIW, Fractal Audio has officially confirmed that their next firmware (v13) for the AxeFxII is going to include a new "Ultra Res" cabinet Impulse Response technology, as well as a few long awaited bass amp models:

The Mesa Bass 400, Bass 400 with Bass "shift", and the Orange AD200B.

(post #15 here: http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-f...ponse-fas-regarding-bass-amps.html#post984920)

Currently, the unit has really only one bass amp model, the Ampeg SVT (which is cool, but we wanted MORE!).

I know that there aren't that many bassists using the AxeFx, but there are a few like myself out there, and a bunch of others interested in the development of this device, especially for bass, for live and studio use (Nolly from Periphery is probably the most notable, currently). Hopefully they won't stop there, and they'll continue to add a few more bass amp models. :hyper:
  2. cybersnyder

cybersnyder Always groove.... Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Xsonics cabinets
    I really didn't need to see this. Just when I thought I ran out of gear to buy....
  3. jimfist

if you're into cutting edge stuff, the AxefxII is a monster. it's like having a digital laboratory for amps, speakers, effects and processors in a 2 space rack. Certainly for many bassists it would appear to be way overkill, but if you are a fan of modeling technology, like a lot of effects, or need a particular solution for touring/gigging, there really is nothing else like it.

The best part, arguably, is how Fractal Audio Systems continually refines and adds to the features of their products via regular no-cost firmware upgrades. The software "guts" of the AxefxII are vastly different now than when the unit was introduced a couple years ago. They are tirelessly committed to their user base, which is why I stuck with the unit for so long even though it wasn't targeted directly at bassists, really. With the addition of new bass amp models now, and hopefully more to come, the AxefxII will be getting strong consideration from more and more bassists who can afford the unit.
  4. feliperigby

feliperigby

Finally bass amps for my axe2 hahaha

Added “USA Bass 400” amp models based on a Mesa Bass 400. “The USA Bass 400 2” version has the Bass Shift on.

Added “Citrus Bass 200” amp model based on an Orange AD200B.

etc.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

So now they have 4 whole models?

I would love to own one of these for my guitar playing and it would be really nice if they could actually put so more into the bass side of things, especially if they're going to try and market it to bassists at it's current price.
  7. cybersnyder

cybersnyder Always groove.... Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Xsonics cabinets
    If they added an Aguilar 751, a GK and an Ampeg B15 it would be complete.
  8. jimfist

the SV Bass amp model (SVT) and the 3 new ones would make four, but technically, the Fender Bassman models qualify, and really don't sound bad for vintage tones of that flavor. There is also a "Tube Pre" model that can be used for bass that sounds good. Anything else is a guitar amp, so you have to audition, tweak, and listen...sort of a crapshoot.

...but yes, that is still a very small number of bass amps. I'd love to see a GK, B15, and a bunch of others added. One problem I see, though, is that the amp model virtual tone stack is Bass - Mid - Treble, and many modern amps have the critical low mid & high mid controls, as well as other "contour shaping" controls/switches that are a key component in the bass amp's design. I'm not sure how this would be represented in the Axefx's amp block without creating an entirely new model for bass, or modifying the current amp model. If you noticed, the 2 new bass amp models have only B-M-T, so their preamp deigns already fit nicely within the Axefx existing amp model design.
  9. bassicsax

bassicsax

if axe fx continues to add more bass specific models (effects included) i would definitely invest in one of these...
  10. jimfist

The Aguilar 751 looks like a perfect candidate to be modeled. lets hope for that.
  11. Sliderbass

Sliderbass Dr. Bass, The best cabinet you'll NEVER own! Supporting Member

Their model of Hiwatt sounded pretty darn good on bass when I tried it at JGR's Lab... Forgot if there was a specific model number specified but it sounded good. Is there a dual showman model? i bet that would work.

I've been on the fence with getting one of these as well. One box that can sound like a few amps is pretty powerful...
  12. jimfist

yes, there are lots traditional guitar amps that *can be* used, and if fact may have been used for bass way back in the day (40 years ago)....there are some 60 odd guitar amps, multiple flavors of Fenders, Marshalls, Mesa Boogies, etc...all kinds of esoteric boutique amps. IMO it's not too much to hope that FAS provide at least a handful of well known, bona fide bass amps. Using your ears to tweak regular guitar amp models is viable, but much less desirable than having the actual amps we are familiar with modeled and ready to roll. Even as it sits now, IMO the AxeFx is worth consideration for bassists, but would be a lot more desirable if they threw bassists more of a bone. Up until now, it doesn't appear that they've even been at all interested in the bass market share. We'll see where it goes from here. I'm just excited that they've done ANYTHING at all new for bassists. ...about time...