Fralin P pickup, which J pickup?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by BongoFury, Feb 21, 2014.

1. BongoFury

BongoFury

I have a Fralin P pickup and wanted to add a J pickup to my bass. I know a Fralin J split-coil would probably blend the best but I was looking for a less expensive option. I've read that blending pickup brands could be dicey. Has anyone used another J pickup that blended well with their Fralin P?

FWIW, I plan on using the P/PJ pickup combination most of the time. I'm not that interested in the J pickup sound alone.

If you know this topic has been covered before let me know. I couldn't find anything similar in the search results. Thank you!

2. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

Any vintage spec J pickup will work as long as it's not on weaker side in terms of output. Many players have found that something overwound by 5-10% has enough output to keep up with the P and give the best blended sound.

Since you've already spent the dough on the Fralin P I wouldn't go too cheap on the J pickup. That said a DiMarzio Area J, Bill Lawrence J-45, Seymour Duncan Classic Stack STK-J1 would work although cost-wise you're only $30 shy of getting the Fralin.

3. BongoFury

BongoFury

Thank you for the suggestions. I do have a Fralin single coil that's 5% overwound but was hesitant to use it because of hum. I got the Fralins as the PJ set but mistakenly got the single coil J version. I was going to sell it, but maybe it's worth a try to install and see if the hum is bearable.

4. dave_bass5

dave_bass5 Supporting Member

I've got the standard wound Fralin P and a Fender Super 55 at the bridge in my PJ.
    I think they are a good match. There is hardly any volume drop when both pups are on and absolutely no noise from the rear pup (except the nose I want of course :).
    On its own the Fender sounds good, a bit thicker than a single coil but I believe that's par for the course with this type of pup.

5. Register to disable this ad