1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. We are currently evaluating the "One Post Per Classified Ad" policy. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Fralin P pickup, which J pickup?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by BongoFury, Feb 21, 2014.

1. BongoFury

BongoFury

I have a Fralin P pickup and wanted to add a J pickup to my bass. I know a Fralin J split-coil would probably blend the best but I was looking for a less expensive option. I've read that blending pickup brands could be dicey. Has anyone used another J pickup that blended well with their Fralin P?

FWIW, I plan on using the P/PJ pickup combination most of the time. I'm not that interested in the J pickup sound alone.

If you know this topic has been covered before let me know. I couldn't find anything similar in the search results. Thank you!
  2. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

Any vintage spec J pickup will work as long as it's not on weaker side in terms of output. Many players have found that something overwound by 5-10% has enough output to keep up with the P and give the best blended sound.

Since you've already spent the dough on the Fralin P I wouldn't go too cheap on the J pickup. That said a DiMarzio Area J, Bill Lawrence J-45, Seymour Duncan Classic Stack STK-J1 would work although cost-wise you're only $30 shy of getting the Fralin.
  3. BongoFury

BongoFury

Thank you for the suggestions. I do have a Fralin single coil that's 5% overwound but was hesitant to use it because of hum. I got the Fralins as the PJ set but mistakenly got the single coil J version. I was going to sell it, but maybe it's worth a try to install and see if the hum is bearable.
  4. dave_bass5

dave_bass5 Supporting Member

I've got the standard wound Fralin P and a Fender Super 55 at the bridge in my PJ.
    I think they are a good match. There is hardly any volume drop when both pups are on and absolutely no noise from the rear pup (except the nose I want of course :).
    On its own the Fender sounds good, a bit thicker than a single coil but I believe that's par for the course with this type of pup.