1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Fralin vs Hanson pickups.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by ugly_bassplayer, Mar 6, 2014.

1. ugly_bassplayer

ugly_bassplayer Supporting Member

Anyone here have any input on Fralin vs Hanson pups?

2. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

I pulled the Neo-Punch out of my Glaub the day after I got it. Absolute garbage and not worth the plastic that it was encased in. Replaced that with a 62RI pup.

I bought a Fralin stock wind and still think that its probably the absolute best P pup on the market.

I haven't tried the Hanson "vintage" model.

3. ugly_bassplayer

I have both Fralin Jazz Split and P pups in my bass' and I agree, they freakin kill.

4. oboylebass

oboylebass

My '07 US Lakland has the stock Lakland/Hanson pickups and I absolutely love it. Hands down the best sounding J style I've ever played, and I've many many j basses.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. ugly_bassplayer

what other pups?

7. Down_Low

Down_Low

Love the Fralin P and 5% overwound split J in my Fender. The P is real vintagey. Haven't tied Hanson though.

8. Rumblefisher

Rumblefisher Supporting Member

I have to agree with the majority of the sentiment above.

I L O V E Lakland products...I do. The Hanson pickups to me, leave a bit to be desired. They do capture a lot of the vintage vibe, but I find them to be hollow, punchless, and tinny.

Fralin pups, on the other hand, just do it for me. Amazing punch, full and rich sound. Stock, they nail vintage tone, but overwound they sound a bit strange solo'd...almost bassy. In a mix though is where they shine. Presence, punch, clarity...they are just great pickups.

I am a big fan of the Hanson ChiSonic Single Coils. They too are very powerful. They are very nasally and gritty for J pups and absolutely smash through a mix. They may not be for everyone, but when they fit, they are excellent!

9. petrus61

I actually have a set of Fralin stock wind Jazz pups on the way with raised A and D poles to accommodate the 7.25 radius. I was debating the split singles, but after talking with Chuck at the Fralin shop, I decided on the stock singles. I recommend giving them a call. A small shop run by players who live their craft. They are always willing to talk (at length) about their pickups and what sets them apart. I think they also offer free over winding if one decides their stock pup can use it. I was so happy with the P pups, but they are very well regarded for their mastery in single coils, so I'm very much looking forward to getting them.

10. ugly_bassplayer

I have raised pole splits on my jazz and they freakin kill.
    I also have the P in my yamaha P copy and it sounds awesome.
    I think Im going to go with fralin pups again.

11. petrus61

Good choice!