Fralins - direct replacement for MIM J?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by mightypants, Jan 27, 2013.

1. mightypants

mightypants

I'm thinking about buying some Lindy Fralins for my MIM J bass, and I'm wondering if they would be a direct replacement (i.e. would fit without any modification). I'm having some other work done on my bass and the repair guy said that adding a pickup replacement to the process would be cheap as long as it's a direct swap. I'm just trying to factor that into my budget.

Thanks.
  2. 1bassleft

1bassleft

The only thing to watch out for is how old your MIM is. There was a period when their Jazzes had identically sized bridge and neck pups. Bizarre, but it caught me out. No need for a ruler; a quick visual check should tell you if the bridge pup is wider across the strings than the neck pup (or not).

That done, any standard bridge and neck set should be fine.
  3. mightypants

mightypants

Thanks for the reply. I'm aware of the pickup size issue you mentioned, and my bass was made well after they started making them different lengths.
  4. 1bassleft

1bassleft

You should be fine, then. There are small variations in the radius of the rounded edge - a custom build of mine wouldn't let in an EMG but a Lace Sensor slotted tightly in. From what I've seen, the MIM has more leeway in the routing and Fralins would present no problem.