Franchise bands - a question

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by CelticWarrior72, Sep 2, 2013.

1. CelticWarrior72

CelticWarrior72

Disclosures:
    Admin of the Chicago Bass Players' Network
    Does anyone have any knowledge of how a franchise band like The Spazmatics are organized? What other franchise bands are out there that are in multiple cities across the country?
  2. troy mcclure

troy mcclure Supporting Member

My friend is in a similar band that has 5 aliases. I honestly have no idea how they came about, other than they were very talented ran with the gimmick, developed other gimmicks that worked with similar music they could cover and hired a few booking agencies.
    I often wondered why someone didn't franchise convention/wedding bands.
  3. mikegug

mikegug

Do you buy into the franchise? If so, why? Cool band though! Great concept too.

Make your own band: "The Totally Awesomes" or "The Fer-Sures" or "Totally Bitchins'".
  4. CelticWarrior72

CelticWarrior72

Disclosures:
    I'm not sure if it is a traditional franchise as such - i.e. one that you would buy into. I think The Spazmatics are run directly by PerfectWorldEntertainment from L.A. However, I can see the business sense into jumping on board an established cover band concept with a steady stream of high quality bookings where the marketing essentially comes prepackaged.

I was just wondering about the logistics involved in such a product and how the booking is handled in each of the local markets.

Any insights from anyone?

- CW
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. RockNRollAl

RockNRollAl

7. CelticWarrior72

CelticWarrior72

Disclosures:
    You're answer is a little simplistic. Here's what I'd really like to know:

1) How does PWE (Perfect World Entertainment) control the quality of The Spazmatics in each location? After auditions are held, what do they do to make sure that each local band conforms to the image?
    2) How does PWE handle booking in each location? Do they do it directly themselves or do they partner with local bookers?
    3) How do they split revenues with each of the bands? You'd think that since they are providing a ready-made platform that includes a) set, b) image, c) marketing and d) booking, that they would probably charging more than the customary 10-15% booking fee.

- CW
  8. mikegug

mikegug

Here's how I would do quality control:

1. Send PWE a video
    2. Mystery shopper
    3. Crowd/venue feedback

Shouldn't be too tough to do.
  9. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

Isn't TransSiberianOrchestra kinda like this?
    (Maybe not - I am asking...)

But I see them booked through the holiday season with back-to-back shows on opposite coasts. I don't see how they're doing that with a single company, unless it's multiple travelling sets and lots of air miles for the musicians...