Francis Buchholz: Bassline to "Suspender Love" from "Tokyo Tapes" (1978)

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by A.K., Apr 9, 2014.

1. A.K.

A.K.

This is probably my favorite of all Scorpions basslines:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCJ3vqc9tTQ

Like Ian Hill, Francis' playing became simpler as the band's popularity increased in the Eighties. But as "Tokyo Tapes" proves, the guy could play. He had groove and great tone.

2. A.K.

A.K.

3. The Rage

The Rage

I can only say that Tokyo Tapes is for me one of the greatest live album of rock.

4. A.K.

A.K.

I agree--"Tokyo Tapes" is one of the all-time great rock live albums.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. A.K.

A.K.

http://www.ronniejamesdiosite.com/NewsInterviews/Interviews/Bain-popoff/Bain03.html

Here's a cool interview with Jimmy Bain (bassist for Rainbow and Dio) in which he describes playing bass on the "Love at First Sting" album. Francis Buchholz claims to have re-recorded the entire thing, but Jimmy insists he's all over that record.

Jimmy also notes that Scorpions used session bassists a lot throughout the Buchholz Era because Francis was busy working as a business and touring manager for the band all the way up until he left in 1992.

7. Jbass4me

Jbass4me

Great tune----Never heard that song before, as i dont have that LP. Not a real diehard Scorps fan, but have several of their old LP's..obviously not this one. Listened to them alot growing up and Francis was a good inspiration when i was just learning how to play, along with Ian Hill from Judas Priest which helped me to develop stamina and consistent rhythms

8. A.K.

A.K.

Ian Hill is just about the best when it comes to serious stamina and rhythmic precision. I still warm up with the bassline to "Electric Eye" every day. I love his tone, too.

If you don't own "Tokyo Tapes," check it out! The bass is killer on that whole album.