Franco Petracchi Simplified Higher Technique

Discussion in 'Orchestral Technique [DB]' started by tappingtrance, Nov 21, 2012.

1. tappingtrance

tappingtrance Cooke Harvey Gold Supporting Member

So I got a copy of this technique and just want to make sure I am interpreting this correctly. Looks like he applies thumb position staring at "D" on the "G" string?
    Thoughts?
  2. eerbrev

eerbrev

that's probably correct. I don't own that book specifically but I've used books written by his students and using the thumb on the D on the G string isn't uncommon. I sit, so using thumb wherever is no big deal.

eerbrev
  3. chicagodoubler

chicagodoubler

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland, Genz Benz
    If you can't play that far back comfortably and in tune, then start at G and slowly work your way back. This book is a wonderful addition to our pedagogy but like the Zimmerman book, many people get caught up in the pedantry and try to just go cover to cover. Work on some Petracchi for ten to fifteen minutes a day. If it hurts, stop. This isn't a book to "master..." It's a book to add to your technique for many years to come.
  4. eerbrev

eerbrev

100% agree. I have also heard that it was published out of the order that he wrote it, but people "say" these things all the time so I can neither confirm nor deny such statements.

I plead the fifth!

eerbrev
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Phil Rowan

Phil Rowan

Yeah, I'd just go through it and pick out whatever exercises are more accessible, solidify them and then go from there. I feel like you could cover half or a 1/4 of that book and be set for a good while.
  7. kwd

kwd

I agree. When I started on the book my teacher told me about a player in the LA area, I think, who had incorporated the technique in lower positions. He said it looked unorthodox but pointed out that the player had really put the technique to good use. What I took I away from that was that it depends on the player and that the Petracchi book was to looked at as something to augment one's technique.
  8. mattgray

mattgray

As chicago mentioned, this type of work is work that happens over a very long time, oftentimes months to years. The exercises are more like ingredients than prescriptions; you don't start with something you absolutely cannot do otherwise you run the risk of hurting yourself. Instead, slowly acclimate to the feeling; the spacing between the d (lower) and G (the 4th) is the same size as the G to D (higher, a 5th). With work like this, it's not about its immediate practicality but something that you can utilize as a tool when you need to.
  9. tappingtrance

Thanks everyone. Very helpful, I am looking for additional materials for thumb position and I heard about this. Any other materials you may think help would be appreciated. I work in the Rabbath books and Mark Morton series. Thanks.
  10. chicagodoubler

chicagodoubler

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland, Genz Benz
    Check out the Bottesini books. They aren't method books by the standard definition, but they are challenging little melodic etudes that are incredibly well written, and provide very interesting challenges all over the instrument.
  11. tappingtrance

thanks Chicagodoubler!
  12. damonsmith

damonsmith

Yes, it starts on D on the g string. He is basically just adding the chromatic and semi-chromatic thumb positions - they are more compact and thus more mobile than a diatonic position tied to the harmonics.
    The simplified idea is just those positions and the fact that you can put them anywhere.
    He starts with them in the key of D dealing with each major and minor third.
    The exercises themselves are less "magic" than Simandl, Rabbath, Billie, Bottesini or any of the comprehensive methods.
    If you have avoided Simandl for any reason, make sure it is in your library. It is a great, effective book.
  13. tappingtrance

Thanks damonsmith -thanks, yes simandl is what i grew up with and moved to rabbath, so looking for alternate approaches to thumb position.
  14. Tom Gale

Tom Gale

I looked over all the thumb positions and started writing with the thumb on G and then going up AND down and only down without pain! I also combined the thumb positions with what a called the 'open hand' tech - that's using the 1,2,3,4. I started out with those two techs and the books - one on each tech - but eventually combined both them with the closed hand - 1,2,4 into one book. It blends all together and does make playing life easier.

Tom Gale