1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. We are currently evaluating the "One Post Per Classified Ad" policy. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Franken-Zteampunk!!!

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by blubolt, Nov 8, 2012.

1. blubolt

blubolt

So, I saw this Dean Z Bass on Craigslist last summer. The guy wanted 80 because it was "broken" (I think we call it Mojo around here :) ).
    In my head I got a picture of what he meant because I can just imagine what happens to the angular body shape. As suspected, the upper right bout is snapped off and then glued back on by his drunk buddies who stepped on it while they partied at his place. Total bummer for the former owner. Dealsville for me. I talked him down another 10 bucks and boogied out of there!
    I took it home and kinda fixed the problem.
    After a lot of sanding and some alephatic resin - we gots this:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And then it sat....... until now.
    This is my absolute favorite body style. I owned an Ibanez Destroyer model back in the 80's and have since not had my hands on one due to either bad timing, bad finances or an uncanny combination of both ;)

I am looking to do something unique with it.
    The ZZ Top boys did this:
    [​IMG]
    I was thinking something more subtle.....with brass.
    [​IMG]
    Yes...... its another Steampunk Bass. I did one for a "buildoff" that happened here a couple of years ago: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f57/1st-annual-tb-bass-build-competition-steampunk-bass-687008/
    and it is an itch that must once again be scratched. I plan on going much farther with this one than the last. Wish me luck! :bassist::D
  2. Smilodon

Smilodon Supporting Member

I'll be watching this one for sure. I love steampunk inspired designs. :)
  3. Mister Know Not

Mister Know Not

That steampunk bass was awsome, can't wait to see this one finished,...
  4. blubolt

blubolt

Found this Starfire hockeystick neck for her. So glad because I just don't like the standard Dean wing headstock for this project.
    [​IMG]

If anyone wants to trade something for the old Dean neck let me know. Specifically interested in pickups - :bassist: its in really great shape. No dings in the headstock. Nice and straight. Would look cool on the right guitar.
  5. blubolt

blubolt

So here is some brass that I found to put on her ;)
    [​IMG]

This is the first time I mounted my own bridge. It wasn't just a drop in replacement like I had done before. I used the "2 string" method to get it centered and then measured distance from the nut to the bridge saddles. 35 inch scale for this one. It wasn't nearly as hard as I thought it would be. Just make sure you measure, measure, and measure again. And then measure again. :D. And then you can drill. And make sure it's skinny pilot holes, not full size holes. Don't ask how I know this. :meh: Then put the screws in. I think it came out really nice.

And this bridge is a flippin' boat anchor! I have never used one heavier than this. It's got to weigh in at close to a pound. And I can already tell we have sustain for days.........;)
  6. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD

Is that neck a 35" scale?
  7. blubolt

blubolt

When I checked the intonation, it seemed to work out fine. But in all honesty, I never asked the question when I bought the neck. Out of curiosity, how would I check that?
  8. Stealth

Stealth Supporting Member

Cool and unusual. Subbed.
  9. grisezd

grisezd Supporting Member

My guess is that is going to be a 34in scale neck. Measure the distance from the nut (playing side) to the 12th fret (wire). Double that. That is your scale length. The distance from the 12th fret to a point on your bridge needs to be the same distance. That point on your bridge will be the string saddle witness point when the string saddles are nearly fully forward (towards the pickups). Check this before going forward or sadness will surely follow completion!
  10. blubolt

blubolt

Lol! Looks like I am going to be doing my first bridge reposition too. Its a 34" for sure.

Looks like I learned 2 things today. BONUS!

Thanks for the info :)
  11. bassteban

bassteban

Nice! I bought a very similar bridge offa the bay
  12. blubolt

blubolt

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Progress...
  13. blubolt

blubolt

And a little more....
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  14. Konquest

Konquest

Leatherface bass: just in time for "Texas Chainsaw Massacre 3D"!
  15. blubolt

blubolt

So, here she is, sans brass acoutraments.
    Yes, the plasma port is real!:bassist:
    I can hardly get rid of red eye with Photoshop let alone fake something like this. It runs off of 9v batteries. I'll be routing that cavity next week sometime.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'll also be adding a brass nut, electrolytic etched brass trim, control plates and such to the body and headstock. The etching process yields a very vintage looking result on the brass which will hopefully add to the vibe. :D

Any suggestions for a pickup? I would like to stick with the existing route if possible. Plans are to use standard P-bass controls.
    If anyone knows a source for brass knobs please post it here.

Hope you are enjoying the build :)

Peace!
  16. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD

Dude, where'd you get the little plasma ball?
  17. blubolt

blubolt

18. bassteban

bassteban

LOVIN it. I see a bigass MM w/an extremely powerful preamp, but that's me- just the tone Im wanting to hear these days.
    Keep up the good work!
  19. dmusic148

dmusic148

Cool! More plasma balls. Like eight more. Yes.
  20. Nomadskills

Nomadskills

That's what I thought too. It scares me a little.

Love the ball.