Frankenstein bass

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by floodwatchbass, Nov 27, 2012.

1. floodwatchbass

floodwatchbass

Not sure if this is the right forum, but here it goes...

On a whim, I bought a smashed pbass body off of ebay. The section from the control holes down is literally smashed off. It just... called to me. It will be the--dare I say--bassis of a new bass. I also ordered a used EB-0 neck to throw on it, as well as other assorted and intentionally clashing parts, hardware, (ex: Musicman-style pickup), etc.

Anybody have any experience with mating a short-scale Gibson-style neck to a Fender-style body? I see plenty on the opposite, not much on this configuration.

Just curious, thanks!
  2. Stealth

Stealth Supporting Member

The only thing you'll have to worry about is the scale length, as you'll certainly have to move the bridge more towards the center of the body.

Since the EB0 neck is short, you will have to measure from the nut to the 12th fret to get half the scale length, then measure the same distance from the 12th fret to the tail of the body. That point should be the center of the travel of your saddles, so you'll know where to set down your bridge. Then you can plonk down the pickup accordingly.

The two things you'll need to worry about, then, is the position of the bridge and the shape of the neck pocket so it can fit snugly.
  3. floodwatchbass

floodwatchbass

Yeah, I've been prepping for those issues. You just said in one post what it's taken me a lot of Googling to square away haha. I can't wait for the neck to come in.

Thanks for the reply!
  4. floodwatchbass

floodwatchbass

I built an electric upright over the summer. This is my winter project.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Stealth

I hope you'll post progress pictures in this thread, I'm interested in how it'll go. :)
  7. Smilodon

Smilodon Supporting Member

Nope.

That point is the position of the G saddle when it's almost all the way towards the neck. Leave maybe 3 millimeters of space.
  8. Stealth

I stand corrected. I hope floodwatchbass reads your post before he does anything. :bag:
  9. floodwatchbass

floodwatchbass

Thanks, Smilodon and Stealth. I'm still waiting on the neck, bridge, and other parts. Trust me, I'll measure twice before cutting once ;)

Stealth, here's the body:

[​IMG]

According to the seller, it's an 80's Squier, smashed by a Russian band playing in Poland in 1988.
  10. Stealth

Poor thing. How will you address this? Glue the missing part as a wing? Use double-headed inserts? Both? Something else?
  11. VinKreepo

VinKreepo

Here's what you do if you want it to look nice but punk (oxymoron, I know). Get a straight edge, preferably metal. Mark a line so that you cut off most of the electronics cavity without entering the bridge area or the area where your thigh sets into while sitting down (ugh, I don't know how to explain it lol, just take off the bare minimum while getting the majority of the chips off). Use a regular circular saw if possible or clamp the body vertically to a table and CUT STRAIGHT. Find a board with a thickness as close as possible to the bass; I've been working with some 2x10's that are actually 1 3/4" thick (standard P bass thickness) instead of 1 1/2" (standard 2xWhatever boards thickness). Rip one side of the board with the saw for a flat edge. Sand with 400 grit paper using a perfectly flat block of some sort to ensure a consistent and slightly rough (so the glue holds) side that is perfectly flat. Do the same on the bass body and glue the two together. USE CLAMPS! Let it set for a few days, preferably a week. Use a router or jigsaw to cut the outside shape of the body into the addition (templates are all over the net). Route out the area for your electronics (doesn't have to look nice if it's being hidden by the pickguard >:D ). Sand the body and paint if desired or leave it for the neat punk look I was referring to.

I understand you probably are familiar with all of this after building your other bass, but I just want others who aren't as experienced with wood to get some ideas. So no offense to you and your woodworking skills.

Good luck.

EDIT: Oh... and welcome to TalkBass! It's nice to have you here :D :bassist:
  12. amadden

amadden

Ha, I saw that too! I considered buying it, but I couldn't justify the purchase...

But I would also do what VinKreepo says. Make a nice straight cut and glue a chunk of wood to it. It seems like it'd be the simplest way to fix that.
  13. floodwatchbass

floodwatchbass

Thanks! I think I'll stick with this forum. I'm a member of gearslutz but I never go on anymore. You all have been very welcoming right out of the gate.

So, I guess I should explain to you, Stealth, amadden, and anybody reading that my intention is to leave the body busted up. That was actually the appeal for me. It may sound strange, but I love the record of creative destruction. I always loved the burned Hendrix Strat that Zappa and his son use(d). When I saw this bass body, I instantly thought - I HAVE TO BUILD A BASS OUT OF THAT... AND LEAVE IT TRASHED!!! Most of my other parts came in yesterday. I'll post some pics and what my plans are when I get home. :D
  14. VinKreepo

VinKreepo

You gonna crack the PG, too? :D That would be hella sweet. Maybe you could tape the pots to the bass, or, if you have some thin metal strips around, drill a hole in a few and push the pot through and then attach the ends to the bass. As far as shielding, put some copper tape underneath some electrical tape and tape over the wires and onto the pots for grounding. Or just buy some antique yellow shielded cloth cable off eBay :D There is so much potential here!

EDIT: I just thought you could make it look like you salvaged the other piece of the pickguard and attach it to the bass with a couple of drywall screws :D Now, I want a cracked bass! :(

Oh, and a finger rest dangling halfway over the crack from one screw would definitely tie in the look :bassist:
  15. ctmullins

ctmullins Registered 8er Supporting Member

You guys are nuts. I mean that in a good way. :bassist:
  16. Smilodon

Smilodon Supporting Member

Why not just omit the controls altogether?

Just hard wire a cable to the pickup and get a clamp to hold the cable in place. A tweed cable will probably look good. :)

Maybe get a neck with a cracked fingerboard or headstock as well? (Just make sure it's structurally good)

edit. Ops! Just remembered that you had a neck on order...
  17. quite_angry

quite_angry

The other thing that you will need to worry about is that the EB-0 neck will be significantly more narrow at the heel than a P neck would be as Gibson uses a narrower string spacing. Therefore, if you plan on using a regular P bridge, you might run into problems with the E and G strings riding the very edge of the fretboard at the heel. Also, that means that you will have a TON of space on either side of the heel in the neck pocket.
  18. quite_angry

quite_angry

Also, if memory serves (I've had an Epi EB-0) the heel is also shorter than a P heel by quite a bit.
  19. floodwatchbass

floodwatchbass

Crappy cell photo with the parts just placed together but you'll get the idea:

[​IMG]

VinKreepo - I'm definitely cracking the pick guard to match!

Smilodon - I have thought about "distressing" the head stock of the neck... not sure yet...

I like a lot of the jack ideas. Pickup straight to jack is appealing. I was thinking one volume knob (maybe an exaggeratedly large radio dial knob... ), just for those few times when you might want to lower or kill the volume.

quite_angry - Addressing the neck pocket is one of my bigger issues to tackle. The size difference is notable. The bridge I got is a black one taken from an Epi Les Paul Special, so the string spacing won't be an issue there. The mm-style pickup I ordered should also work.

I'll keep posting! Busy weekend with correcting (I'm a teacher) but I'll fit in time to start problem-solving the general layout and particularly the neck pocket. Luckily, I still have some wood scraps kicking around from this baby:

[​IMG]

Thanks for all of the feedback! I was pretty excited already but your enthusiasm has me even more amped!
  20. wraub

wraub

Disclosures:
    I'll have an IPA, please.
    Now that is cool.

wraub
  21. VinKreepo

VinKreepo

If you have a dog, coat the headstock in peanut butter and meat...

Post a vid! :D

EDIT: CHEW CHEW CHEW