1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Freakin Drummer Drinks before Gig ...

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by los100malditos, Dec 12, 2013.

1. los100malditos

los100malditos

We rehersal 1 or 2 times a week ... everything sounds fine ... near cero mistakes ... the gig day the drummer drinks 2 or 3 whiskies and the problems begins .... weird things start to happen ... mistakes, ending the songs incorrectly, or anyhow he wants ... doing faces during the act ... not caring anymore neither for himself nor the gig, and "low self esteem" ... you know ... unusual things ...

The rest of us, even his brother (the Guitar player & singer) ask him not to do it anymore, and he says "I CAN´T JUMP INTO SCENE WITHOUT THE DRINKS" ... You might be thinking in the word "ALCOHOLIC" but instead, i´m thinking in "liquid courage" ... well i don´t know ...

We won´t fire him ... we are real friends ... if we do not play anymore... we still be friends.

the thing is FIX IT or FIX IT...

MY POINT i just told them all that i would not still spending so much time rehearsing so hard anymore if we will still letting the whiskey take control...!

WHAT DO YOU THINK???

2. BassCliff

BassCliff

Hi,

It sounds like a lot of wasted effort and diminished fun units. If the guy can rehearse without whiskey he should be able to perform without whiskey. Save the partying for after the gig.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

3. ExaltBass

ExaltBass Just a BassGuy! Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Crafter of XBass cables
    Bye... time to look at someone with a more pro attitude.

4. 73jbass

73jbass Gold Supporting Member

Fire him,now. He is making the rest of you look bad. He isn't an asset,so get rid of him now.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Hey malditos,

Are you sure you didn't end up in my ex-band?

Best wishes anyhow! Liquid courage is a hard bad habit to break.

7. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

As a general rule of thumb, a band member's substance use is a problem when it messes up the performance.

So it's not hard to figure out this is a problem. And it needs to be the subject of a serious talk--the whole band.

8. NYCbassist

NYCbassist Supporting Member

9. Fat Steve

Fat Steve The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.

In that case, I recommend quitting the band you're in, and joining another band with people that are not friends outside of the band and who play at the level of professionalism you desire.

10. marko138

marko138

You won't fire him b/c you're friends but you'll let him make you all look like fools?

11. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass Supporting Member

I've never heard of a musician with a drinking problem.

12. nutdog

nutdog Supporting Member

Maybe you could give him some coke or meth the counteract the alcohol.

13. hotbass57

hotbass57

Total BS one drink is plenty to relax. 3 is trying to get loaded. If you don't fire him, get a video camera reord the gig and let the drummer see his performance. you are employees at the club you're working at. most places i know don't let their employees drink on the job. good luck, i'd be outta there, or he would.

14. Biggbass

Biggbass Supporting Member

Sadly, he is wasting your time as well as the time of the other band members by expecting you all to spend the hours and effort rehearsing for what ends up being a train wreck at the gigs due to his inability to handle the situation with a clear head.
    If he were my drummer I'd have a "CTJ" with him and let him know that he's got a desicion to make on whether he is willing to clean up his act or not, and if not, then he's out. But I have a zero tolerance for BS and time wasters. Others may not have the same tolerance. You gotta ask yourself just how valuable your time is and proceed accordingly.

15. 45acp

45acp

Drink with him for the next gig. Don't have 3... have 10. Or maybe 20. He'll get the idea.

16. russpurdy

russpurdy

Judging by the CAPITALS this is a very serious problem?

This sounds like a job for an ultimatum. Either do the gigs sober or don't show up. I disagree that three drinks is too many for everyone as when I gig two or three drinks before playing and one or two during the set is common. I am, however, 6'5 260 lbs and Canadian so my tolerance is up there ;) I agree that when drinking interferes with the performance it's too much. Unless your a famous partying rocker nobody wants to watch you play wasted.

I would be curious though if its the booze that is causing the odd behavior or the actual gig. I know lots of people that are solid in rehearsal but get onstage jitters and start acting kinda goofy. A shot before the show actually does help to calm them down now and then but it's not a cure-all by any means. Only real way to test this theory is, again, to get him to play a show sober and see if the absence of alcohol (great name for a straight edge band by the way) changes the behaviour.

Long story short, if he won't try to play sober tell him to hit the road.

17. RDUB

RDUB Supporting Member

Seriously unprofessional. As EWO said above, if a musician's personal habits interfere with the performance of the band, then it's time for a candid talk followed immediately by action. (And this includes personal hygiene, procrastination and un-preparedness, along with alcohol and drug issues.) I have too much respect for the people paying me, and too much appreciation of my self worth as a professional to work with musicians who threaten to reflect so poorly on me.

I sometimes have a drink while I'm performing. I don't drink enough to affect my performance. That can wait until after. End of story.

There are friends, and there are other professionals (who in my case are excellent friends and acquaintances, too). You decide what level you want to take your playing to.

18. MHensleyJr

MHensleyJr Supporting Member

Me neither.

19. GlennW

GlennW

That's good stuff right there. :D

20. G-MonRV5

G-MonRV5 Supporting Member

If your relationship is as strong as you suggest, then all the more reason to deal with the issue in a very frank and forthright way. If it is a problem for the band, and it obviously is, don't tolerate it!

If he has a personal issue with alcohol then you can deal with that separately from the band situation. As a friend, you can stand by him and support him through an alcohol problem AND, at the same time, fire him as a band mate.

Whatever the case, don't put up with that.

21. richrod

richrod Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar, Gruv Gear, Analysis Plus Cables, La Bella Strings
    Fire the drummer if he can't wait until the gig is done.... That's how you fix it!