1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

FREE floating thumb video @ YouTube.com

Discussion in 'Ask Todd Johnson' started by Todd Johnson, Sep 22, 2006.

1. Todd Johnson

Todd Johnson

(I've added this to several other posts...but I wanted to post this by itself so it would be easier to find for some folks.)

Hi Guys,

Go to my YouTube.com page www.youtube.com/user/toddjohnsonmusic and check out the "floating thumb" video I just uploaded.....

This has been a popular subject and this video should clear up a few things for some of you...:cool:

If you like what you see, be sure and leave a comment or two....or subscribe to my channel....

More videos to come in the "near" future!!...:hyper:

Enjoy!!

2. SubGuitar

SubGuitar

Thanks for the video Todd. The other videos are great too.

I'm used to playing with almost straight fingers, doing the moving anchor thing. I keep my elbow up to minimise wrist bending anyway, so I'm not worried about injuring myself. I also have no problems muting.

I do see the obvious benefit of always moving the fingers in the same way for each string though, and just doing some scale patterns my playing sounds and feels more even, and easier at higher speeds, so I know its worth mastering this technique.

I have a question though, if you or anyone else would be so good as to help me out here: What do you floating thumbers do when you need to skip strings alot? (eg. the first bar of Teen Town). Do you lift the hand up to more of an anchor type position (where you can play all the strings from one position) or still move across the strings using your shoulder? It seems very hard to "move the mechanism", as you put it, at that kind of speed.

Any advise? Thanks.

And thank you again Todd. Ripping off these videos should keep me occupied for a while :)

Emlyn.

3. Todd Johnson

Todd Johnson

Subguitar,

The truth..... I move the mechanism......

You can do it.... it just takes a little time and practice.... You can't expect to "instantly" adapt to a new techniqe .... but with time, patience and some practice you can DEFINITELY make this work....AND... you won't have the ringing string problem... that's the bottom line..... It doesn't matter how fast you play...if it isn't CLEAN.... it doesn't COUNT.... at least in my book anyway...:D ...;) .....:help:

Take your time.... let me know if I can help.

4. RevGroove

RevGroove

Disclosures:
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist
    Todd, that was golden, thanks for posting that...

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Todd Johnson

Todd Johnson

You're welcome!!!

Now that I have a local, affordable video editor.... I can do a few things like this!!

Happy to help....

7. lowendfriend

lowendfriend Supporting Member

I posted in another area, but seriously, Todd, I was starting to get a little worried about whether the 5-er and me were cut out for each other and like >>instantly<< my right hand acted like a man in the desert getting water......AAAHHHHHHH.....

Thanks....a golden freebie!:hyper:

8. Todd Johnson

Todd Johnson

You're certainly welcome!!

Now get to work!!:D

9. Merchant

Merchant

Hi Todd, I've been contemplating learning this technique for a while now, as I plan on jumping up from 4 to 6 strings eventually and know I'll struggle using a pickup-anchor, but when using floating thumb my fingers are attacking at a much lighter angle (between thumb and finger) and end up going further below the string as my attack is more vertical than the pickup anchor - am I meant to play from the second finger joint and have my thumb right behind the string I'm plucking or what? Maybe a ramp is in order?

10. bassbenj

bassbenj

Hey Todd, I just went an checked out your "floating thumb" video. I loved it, but then was looking for "part II"! What I'm getting at is you start out showing how it works on a 4 string, but then right at the end you make the big point of damping being essential as the number of string goes up, but then the video ends.

And everyone is going...AND??? What I'm saying is that this fine video really needs a "part two" where you go forward with a 6 or even 7 string bass showing how the right hand "mechanism" plus the left hand fingers produce damping for all strings above and below the note being played.

The two then together would give a complete instruction in the whole "floating thumb" string damping technique. This really needs to be done (if you haven't done it already) what with more and more people getting interested in 6 string playing.

11. Wally Malone

Wally Malone

Disclosures:
    AFM International Representative
    The concept is the same no matter how many strings are used. The movement is still done from the shoulder. I play four, five and six string basses and use floating thumb.

Wally

12. Todd Johnson

Todd Johnson

Wally got it right.....the floating thumb works great on 3, 4, 5, 6, 8, 10 string basses.....its the same no matter what bass....

PLUS......the video is intended to help for free, but also its there to hopefully get you to purchase the DVD.;)

Make sense???

Hey, a guys got to make a living!! :)