1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Free Gig for Exposure (Super Bowl)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by TroyK, Feb 3, 2014.

1. TroyK

TroyK Moderator

I heard on NPR today that halftime performers at the Super Bowl are not paid, but do it instead for "the exposure". Granted that a) they are already millionaires and b) it's actual mega-exposure, not BS, I don't want to fork over $50/man for you to play in my restaurant exposure, but come on! All the money spent and made on the Super Bowl, why draw the line at the musicians?

I'm sure the roadies get paid. I wonder if they at least pay the sidemen, they're not getting no exposure.

By the way SEAHAWKS!!!!!

2. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

While the NFL might not have written a check directly to the performers I'm sure they all made more money last night than I will make in my lifetime. That stuff is all carefully orchectrated by lawyers, agents, record companies, the BIG business (NFL and Coke). It is a whole different plane of existence I will never know.

3. isolated

isolated

Rather seriously doubt that the Stones played for free in 2006. Ditto Janet Jackson, Michael Jackson, Springsteen, Sir Paul, Prince, etc., in their respective years.

Up With People, on the other hand....

4. Gaolee

Gaolee The Fat Violin Supporting Member

Why would they need the exposure, anyway? That makes no sense.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
    No f*cking kidding! It wasn't the well-played tightly contested game I was expecting but steam-rolling the Broncos in Jersey - priceless!!

7. SteveC

SteveC

I thought I heard that Bruno had a concert or short tour or something go on sale today at $150 a ticket…sold out in 1 hour. Not a bad result for a paying "exposure" gig.

8. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

The NFL is pretty cheap and will get whatever buck they can if you ask me. Same reason why the 49ers are moving to Santa Clara. It's all about profits.

Not to mention the petition going around now that the NFL (a not-for-profit organization) needs to lose their tax-free status and start paying their fair share.