1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

free to cheap online instructional videos

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Mybikeisblack, Jan 2, 2013.

1. Mybikeisblack

Mybikeisblack

I've been playing for a few years now and while I'm no beginner, I'd like to learn notes, scales, minor/major octaves, timing, key signatures. Basically what I think is theory? I've always been a player who could figure out what's being played and play it. But now I want to bring more to the table as far as material. Which brings me to this, looking for some online stuff to help me out. I've got good finger and picking techniques and most of what I find on you tube takes you through the basics which isn't bad just not what I want, or takes you through one scale and leaves you hanging on major or minor or even explaining that stuff. I just really want to learn notes. I'm playing mostly metal stuff and I've been told pentatonic scales are a pretty good start to learn for this style of music. Anything will help guys and I appreciate any and all feed back.
  2. fearceol

fearceol

http://scottsbasslessons.com/online-video-bass-lessons

Scott Devine's site is one of the best on the net.

Also, Jeff Berlin has a set of instructional videos (see link below). Only problem is they dont follow any particular order. Great instructional clips all the same.

3. Mybikeisblack

Mybikeisblack

Thanks. I'll for sure check them out. Books don't help me, cause I'm a visual learner. And my ocd won't let me rest unless I know for sure it's being played right.
  4. Yogen

Yogen

5. rotis

rotis There is more

Scott's bass lessons. Follow the lesson map. I love out.
  6. sonic 7

sonic 7 Supporting Member

Scott Devine +1
  7. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

+1 Scott

Kinda developed a mancrush on him lol, made me rethink my own playing style. Biggest wow moment: combining the three different finger patterns for arpeggios and scales, and the gary willis type relative minor/major pentatonic substitution.

But I find myself learning something new each time I watch his videos (and especially the beginner type stuff!)
  8. fearceol

fearceol

Perhaps you need to start with the basics first. You may be jumping into Scott's lessons at a stage which is too far ahead of what you have learned so far.

Have you checked out : www.studybass.com

That theory site you linked is very good, though IMO the "Studybass" site is better.
  9. ingo62

ingo62

10. Sloop John D

Sloop John D

I also like this site. It's extremely well organized and very easy to follow. It's so hard to find music theory materials that are simple and straight forward.
  11. AFRO

AFRO

+ another for S.Devine's method/lessons, and studybass.com...

Ill add
    Teoria.com
    you may need headphones though...(if you are in a public place)
    its a go at your own pace kind of site, and you can test yourself with the exercises.
    Tons of Ear training, note recognition, chord building; the like..