FREE Upright for the right Bassist/Music Student

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by MDBass, Dec 26, 2013.

1. MDBass

MDBass Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Spector-Dingwall-Aguilar-DR-Tech 21-Darkglass
    The upright that I learned on has sat unused in my studio for quite sometime; I'm a rock/electric player at heart, and after years off logging many playing hours a day I've also developed mild tendonitis in both wrists which makes the upright more of a chore than a joy.

I'm looking to donate my upright to an after-school/non-profit music program or another bassist/music student that doesn't have the means to acquire one otherwise; it's in need of a new set strings (the G string broke at the tuning peg, I'm assuming from remaining un-played for so long) but aside from that is in great shape.

Being a reasonable distance from Los Angeles is an obvious must, anyone interested should send me a PM telling me a bit about yourself and your musical situation; after a week or two of fielding PM responses I'll decide on the best way to move forward.

Cheers & Happy Holidays!

2. Lee Moses

Lee Moses

That's mighty charitable of you. I don't have any nominees for your kindness, just wanted to express my appreciation.

3. A-Step-Towards

A-Step-Towards Supporting Member

4. Lucky Strike

Lucky Strike

I've got a set of innovation honey's in 3/4 that have been lightly played on my bass for a year. PM me if interested and I'll send them to you if your bass is the right size.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Fretless55

Fretless55

I'm really hoping this bass finds a worthy recipient, with future great results!

A very generous gesture.

7. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Media:
    Albums:
    Disclosures:
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    You might also want to contact the International Society of Bassists, they have (or had) an instrument donation/award system in place. Even if that's no longer in effect, they should be able to point you at organizations or individuals in the LA area.

8. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

There is a version of El Sistema in L.A. (promoted by Maestro Dudamel) which serves the less fortunate communities in the area. They always need instruments for aspiring young musicians. PM me if you need contact info, or get in touch with Lisa Gass at L.A. Bass Works. She's done work for them. Good on you!

9. geoffbassist

geoffbassist UK Double Bassist Supporting Member

Very generous offer and it's great to think some lucky bassist will now be able to start playing with your instrument.

10. bassist1962

bassist1962

That's awesome! I was lucky enough to inherit the instrument I have, so it's good to know something like this is happening.

11. Dug2

Dug2 Supporting Member

12. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
  13. josiah goldfish

josiah goldfish

This is really great of you! A year ago I was given a bass and all the parts I needed and spent months restoring it. I was desperate to learn to play for YEARS, now I can! My bass is my prize possession, the feeling I got when I was told 'you can have it' (after waiting for an answer for weeks) is the greatest feeling I've ever felt, and I'm sure whoever you give it to will be ecstatic too :)

14. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC Supporting Member

Wow! So gracious and generous!

15. mtb777

mtb777 Serving bottom for the Most High. Supporting Member

Wow. That's great of you Sir!

16. MDBass

MDBass Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Thanks for all of the kind words and helpful offers/suggestions!

I'd misplaced the bookmark for this post and hadn't checked it until today...PM's incoming to those who offered a helping hand :)

17. LouisF

LouisF Supporting Member

I donated a bass here:

http://www.harmony-project.org/

which I believe is the organization Arnold wrote about. I know the executive director (and their offices are in the Musicians' Union building on Vine Street)

They would definitely put it to good use.

Let me know if you need more info.

Louis

18. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

Yes, that is the group I was thinking of. Thanks, Louis.

19. LouisF

LouisF Supporting Member

According to a recent announcement, PBS News Hour will be doing a story on the Harmony Project in January;

We also have some exciting news to share - Harmony Project will be featured on PBS Weekend NewsHour on January 4th, 2014! The story will be broadcast nationally and will highlight our students at Alexandria Elementary School and Los Angeles City College. We hope you'll tune in with us!

Check your local PBS station for the broadcast time.

20. MDBass

MDBass Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Again, thanks for all of the helpful suggestions as well as the new strings for the bass...looks like it will have a new home next week ;)

Happy New Year

21. MDBass

MDBass Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Just to let everyone know where the bass ended up...

It was donated to a high school sophomore from the projects who is currently on scholarship at the Colburn School's Bass Ensemble under the direction of David Young.

David was kind enough to reach out to Lisa Gass at LA Bass Works to get the bass professionally set up and restrung, with one of the sets you kind folks here donated, before giving it to his student.

Thanks again to all, hope you're having a great year :D