free-way switch for pj

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Matthijs, Jan 28, 2013.

1. Matthijs

Matthijs

I've just bought a "free-way" switch that's meant for Les Paul guitars to try in my PJ Yamaha BB 1200. I was looking for a 5 way switch that would fit in a pot hole. This switch is a special 6 way switch with 3 settings in 2 rows, kind of like a gearshift.

What I'm trying to solve here is: I find I more or less use 5 settings with my vol/vol controls. Either one or both pickup's fully on or one fully on with the other at about 80% percent at a sweet spot loading the other pickup. That last setting asks for some fine tuning that can be difficult to do on the fly. So I was thinking about a 5 way switch with trimpots to control the exact 80% setting. And next to the switch a single vol and tone setup.

The freeway is quite complicated. They didn't provide a switching diagram, only several wiring schematics for a 3 pickup les paul. After some puzzelling I found out how it works and I will start soldering tomorrow or the day after.

Am I the first to try out this gizmo?

2. ctmullins

ctmullins Registered thumper Supporting Member

I'm considering one as well - subbed!

3. Matthijs

Matthijs

Still waiting for the trimpots and a pack of resistors I ordered. I think I will add a series/paralel switch. I can't think of a way to incorporate that in the freeway switch too.

4. Matthijs

Matthijs

I've installed the switch and so far I like it. I wired it to be a standard 3 way switch for the two pickups in one row (positions 4 to 6) and in the other row (positions 1 to 3) it switches between a pre-set of full p with a bit of j and a setting the other way around. Both settings in a perfect sweet spot of blending, loading and phase cancellation. The middle position is a 100% blend of both pickups so position 2 and 5 are the same.

I mounted the trimpots for the extra settings on the back of the switch. In hindsight I could have gone for smaller value pots. These are 100k, 50 k would have been enough.

The extra switch is where the old on/off switch for the pre I had in there for the last 10 years. As my amps and cabs have improved over the years, I found out I started to prefer passive.
    Because I had the space left, I turned it into a series/parallel switch for the P pickup. Not sure if it will get some use, but it covers the hole.

Pics:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

first impression is its ver fast and easy to use. I'm eager to find out if my assumption is right and this will cover all my switchin needs.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. ctmullins

ctmullins Registered thumper Supporting Member

Hey Matthijs - how's the switch holding up? Still like it?