1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

French Wh*re Named Babette

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Crazyeelboy, Nov 26, 2012.

1. Crazyeelboy

Crazyeelboy Gold Supporting Member

2. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

I love the music my favorites being Soup Jesus and Filth the music on all the tracks is great I don't like how the vocals sit in the mix they seem out of place but it could be my computer speakers overall great job and mighty fine bass playing I would buy it.

3. Crazyeelboy

Big thanks for the comments. The vocals in our band are a bit of an acquired taste - I fully appreciate that and I appreciate your comments!

4. ToP fan

ToP fan Gold Supporting Member

Love the bass playing and the overall vibe - agree with mjac about vocals - seem behind the mix and somewhat hollow - don't mind his style but just bring him forward maybe ?? Good work:hyper:

Dave

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Crazyeelboy

Hey Dave - big thanks for giving it a listen and for the comments!

7. El Spearo

El Spearo

That's tight... I'd buy it. I actually quite like the vocals!

8. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

I'm going to buy the album I'm very impressed.

9. Crazyeelboy

Thanks for your kind comments!

10. bass nitro

bass nitro

Great.You did bring me back to "blood sugar sex magic" times.Very impressed.

11. alan_hill

alan_hill

12. Crazyeelboy

Thanks for the comment - we didn't set out to have a RHCP vibe, but a couple of the songs just kind of ended up that way. It was one of those pleasant surprise moments one can have in the studio now and then.

13. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa

Like someone else said ... the vocal is really weird ... always the same effect on every song...

Also with a band named French Wh*re Named Babette ... and an album named Filth ...

I thought you would play somekind of metal.

Also, why name your band French Wh*re Named Babette ?

14. Crazyeelboy

Who cares about vocals? We're bass players!:bassist: We don't need no stinking vocals...

Your question raises the next question of "what band name is best for metal"?;) Lots of people ask about the name, but this is the first time someone expected metal - I'm curious, what about the name made you think of metal?

The name started out in one of our earliest gigs - we had a young lady singing with us. She showed up to a gig wearing an odd outfit including a red beret. Our guitarist jokingly noted that she looked like a hooker. She said the beret made her look French and that her "French name" in French class at school was Babette. I said, "OK, so you're a French Whore Named Babette".

Thanks for your comments (questions) and thanks for listening!

15. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa

Kind of neat that Russian learn French I thought you would have an German/Poland/Hungarian class before French.

A French Wh*re Named Babette could have been a punk band or hardcore band to me and Filth ... just make me think of Cradle Of Filth.

Also I'm a musician who happen to play bass. Every instrument is important to me.

16. Johnny Roots

Johnny Roots Banned

I like it.

To me, theres some gritty humor and personality to all this. Thats a good thing to me.
    I like the vocals mix , seems to fit what you guys are doing. It paints a picture for me which is also good.

17. BuffaloBass

BuffaloBass Supporting Member

Hey , aint no pro producer at all, more like a princess and pea with my ears and I dig the vocal vibe as well, but I'm hearing it 'better' with more effect even, ... like it comes off best in Remont and I'm tryin to hear why..... bUT nevermind that....its all good and

not my main point....

That's efn xarasho man, WICKED EFN XARASHO!!

Dont know about RHCP, but to this Yankee rebel, there's a smell of Texas blues in the mix, I am diggin on IT. Slide guitar and all!

NICE!!!! And nice work in the groove and pulse department brother. Perfect mix and playing on DA BASS!! :bassist:

EDIT: "Whore Babette" works just fine on Itunes search. Hey, the only Babette I knew was Jewish! :eek: ! I be buying me some.

18. SolarMan

SolarMan Supporting Member

This is some very cool songwriting and playing. I hope you guys hit the big-time!

I like the vocals. To me it sounds like someone outside of the song doing the singing. Sort of singing at the song.

Soup Jesus reminds me of a 60's or 70's rock tune that I can't quite put my finger on. That one is too short - but a great interlude.

Since you are on pro level - I figure you value the input of some bloke like me - so I have to say my only complaint is that your drummer is too tight on time. Sometimes he needs to let it go a bit to get more feeling into it. I hear passages that need passion and he is still keeping perfect time.

Your bass is great. Out front and in place. Very impressed.

(question: is Soup Jesus the opposite of Soup Nazi from the Seinfeld show?)

also, I figured out what Soup Jesus reminds me of...The intro is The Who - somewhere on the Tommy album, and the body is "Time has come today" by the Chambers Brothers

19. Crazyeelboy

Big thanks for the comments! I really appreciate it. Actually on Soup Jesus, I was thinking of "Tales of Brave Ulysses". We wrote that song in about five minutes, without really thinking about it - it seemed funny and we were looking for another uber short song to end our live set -"this is the last song" and then we play for 20 seconds.

20. SolarMan

SolarMan Supporting Member

Ha! I love it! Just when the audience is getting into the groove it ends!

There is something sort of "punk" about ending the show that way. I'm sure it gets people talking!

21. Crazyeelboy

Thanks Johnny Roots! I appreciate your comments!