Frequently Transporting a Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by AndrewM, Nov 20, 2013.

1. AndrewM

AndrewM

So I have a bit of a dilemma. I recently moved to a university that is near my home town (2 hour drive). The problem is that my room is incredibly small, so I don't really have room for an amplifier, or really even a bass for that matter! I have an acoustic guitar with me here, and even that seems bulky and in the way a lot of the time. There's really just not a good place to put it.

Since I moved, I've been going back to my home town nearly every weekend to try and cram in as much playing as I can (and see to see some familiar faces of course :) ). However, I decided that I just really would like to figure out a way to have my bass with me here, even if it meant sacrificing some space. I could use just the head portion of my amplifier and play through headphones, so that isn't my concern. My concern is that taking a bass to and from different climates might warp the wood, or require very frequent truss rod adjustments. When I moved my acoustic guitar down here, after a few days, it was obvious that it needed to be adjusted. That isn't a concern because it's just staying here, but with my bass, I would want to take it with me on the weekends as well as have it here during the week.

So basically I'm wondering how much danger I would be putting my bass in by taking it to and from college and home, in terms of the climate warping the wood. Part of me is saying that I'm being way too nervous about this haha, but after seeing what happened to my acoustic I figured I should at least try to gain some insight first. Thanks in advance for your time!

2. JACink

JACink

Does the climate really change that much only 2 hours away?

Could you maybe find a cheap beater bass to keep at uni, and maybe a wall hanger to keep it from using up too much space?

3. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

I would say you're putting it in zero danger.

If the climate between each location is that drastically different the best advice is to leave it in the case to acclimatize for a hour or longer before taking it out. If the temperature and humidity are close enough you should be fine, especially indoors.

4. walldaja

walldaja

Obviously people do this on a regular basis, the main thing is to avoid extremes in temperature--like leaving it in a hot / cold car for hours on end (worse, overnight). Acoustics are much more prone to exhibiting changes in behavior as a result of their lightweight construction compared to a solid slab of wood most basses are. Rarely do I even have much of a tuning adjustment to make. Bottom line, keep your bass in the same environment you'd want to be in and travel should be incidental.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Spiffmeister

Spiffmeister Meister of the Spiffs

Yup, what he said. It's the "shock" from large differences in temperature that should be avoided.

7. AndrewM

AndrewM

The climate really doesn't change much at all, and my worry was mainly stemming from witnessing the changes my acoustic went through. As another poster mentioned though, acoustics are pretty thin, so they aren't really comparable to an electric bass. Thanks everyone for the input, and now I can finally start playing as much as I used to haha.

Also, I can't put holes in my walls so thats a bit unfortunate :(

8. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member

get a steinie copy of some sort, leave it under your bed.