1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Fresh of the Butcher's Table?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BHester93, Jan 24, 2014.

1. BHester93

BHester93

Hola people of the talking bass. I have been up to my evil ways again and have taken up another project. I started off with a body i recieved from a fellow Talk Basser. it was old and beaten but was relatively solid and a great place to start.

After digging around a few parts sites and the good ole ebay i eventually had all the parts i needed. I first decided to change the design from a P/J style bass to a Humbucker with a jass bass bridge pickup. I also would need to expand the existing cavities just a bit to give some breathing room.

So i whipped out my handy router and was starting to work when it kinda fell apart in my hands. Rather than go buy a new tool i decided to use my dremel and go at it free handed. The end result was acceptable and i felt accomplished.

I decided apon some MEC pickups because i really admire the tone that they give and i was able to score the MEC humbucker and 2 jazz pickups for about 50 on the bay. After spending a week experementing and researching i finally managed to get everything wired up and decided to go with a basic 2 volume system but i may throw in a tone one day.

I found myself a neck and bridge off the wonderful Guitarfetish.com and gave it what i thought to be a nice vintage-ish color that went good with the bass.

I also had some tuners from another project lying around so i decided to throw them on there, but due to the fact that it was a 2L 2R set i had to get creative. Again it ended up working out better than i had hoped and i was able to put it all to gether and slap a set of Warwick yellow label strings on it.

It has a mildly aggressive tone but not barky, just a nice full sound that is pleasant to the ear. Some may say i butchered a potential restoration project, but others, along with myself, could say that i took something that would have never been put together again and created something deffinately unique.

So i thought id share and see what the community thought about it? If i can get my recording equipment set up in the next week i may be able to get a few clips up of me making some noise on it

Cheers.
    ImageUploadedByTalkBass1390552727.501166.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTalkBass1390552772.266097.jpg ImageUploadedByTalkBass1390552805.076108.jpg

2. BHester93

BHester93

3. BHester93

BHester93

ImageUploadedByTalkBass1390553037.904182.jpg
    last one that i took

4. A-Step-Towards

A-Step-Towards Supporting Member

I like the projects pulled together from cheap resources and this and that. The pretty warmoth jobs arent as cool to me.

Why did you put the output jack in front of the knobs? seems like the cord would get in your way.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. BHester93

BHester93

it actually works out pretty good in front of it. I just thought id try mixing it up a little bit and getting away from the norm, but im still able to have speedy and hassle free access to the knobs.