1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Fret board radius

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by oleskool, Nov 25, 2012.

1. oleskool

oleskool

So what do you like for the radius on a fret board? Why do you like it?
    Would the radius of a fret board make you say absolutely not to a bass? Why?

2. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

... preferred the 7.25" for years, but as my arthritis got worse in the fretting hand (broke that thumb twice playing baseball), I have found the 9.5" seems to work much better ...

... I just parted with a Classic Series 70's Jazz (7.25 radius) that was really a killer bass, but besides noodling in the studio, my hand just seemed to tighten too much to take it out on the 4 hour jobs ... I also changed the 7.25 neck on my 60's Jazz out for an identicial spec Reggie Hamilton neck, which uses a 9.5 board, and that has been much more comfortable for me ... everything else I have is 9.5", I dont care for anything flatter than that ...

..I passed on a very good buy on a non-export Aerodyne earlier this year, because it had a 7.25 neck, despite its very light weight ... which is probably just as big of a consideration in my purchases ...

... good question, one that you dont see pop up all that often ...

3. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Gold Supporting Member

I play 5 string basses so take that into consideration.

smaller radius = more vintage. Makes my hand think I like it because, like me, it's old and therefore it's cool. :D

Not so fast. Turns out, I don't like what happens when I want to slap on a 9.5" radius neck when the flat 10" feels so much more "even" and my technique is better on a flatter radius neck.

Smaller radius neck, creates an illusion the neck is narrower, the reverse for a flatter neck. This is less important than ergonomics. Play what your hand and wrist like better.

4. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    AFM 72-147 union card-carrying liberal academic musician
    My 4 string Sadowsky nyc P/J has a 9" radius, with a Brazilian Rosewood fingerboard. It feels a lot like the old Fender necks, just not quite as curved through the frets, but close.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bassbenj

bassbenj

In converting a couple of my basses to fretless I had to face this question. So I got out the whole collection and started playing. In the end I decided to go with 12" (note 5-6 stringers). The reason was my favorite basses (G&L) had it and it was not too extreme in either direction of too flat or too curved. Truthfully my Alembic which is about 9" felt better but I decided for a more universal curvature something flatter would be less extreme. And that's what I did and ordered all my fingerboards cut with 12" curvature.

But as for letting curvature make me say no to a bass? Hardly. I own a wide variety of basses and play them all regardless of string spacing or curvature. I'm interested in what a given bass does musically for me, not in maximizing my comfort playing it.

7. bootsox

bootsox

I like a 9 inch radius, personally.

8. oleskool

oleskool

Yea, great answers. I,m a mature dude myself. Played around with enough old fenders, when they were not vintage, to see fret boards are getting flatter. Saw a old fender in a pawn shop, they only bring it out if you ask do they have anything that is not out. It wasn't until I got home that I realized the radius was so much different than modern basses. I have small hands but that neck felt like talking to a old friend. Hopefully no one will ask about it before I hit the lottery.:bassist:

9. freu

freu

I like the 7.25" inch radius.
    But it is hard to control the string to string balance on a jazz bass and i can't set up a super low action like on a >9 " inch fretboard.

10. Batmensch

Batmensch

I'm used to the common Fender 9.5" radius, but the most comfortable to me was the 15" radius of an SX Ursa1, and I also liked the flatter (no idea of the actual radius measurement)of a Gibson EB3L I had a few years ago. On guitar, I find the much flatter board of my Epi LP Jr. much more comfy than my MIM Strat. (9.5''?)
    I guess I just seem to do better with the flatter radii. It seems easier to play and more comfortable overall.

11. Immigrant

Immigrant

My FBB five string has a 20" radius, practically flat. Bended notes never fret out. I've never had a bass with a radius so flat and it opened my eyes; the flatter the better.

12. Dave W

Dave W Previously bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

I prefer flatter (12" or 16" would be my preference), but I'll play anything.

If I were getting a custom bass made for me, it would probably have a compound radius board going from 16"-20" but 12"-16" would work.

13. THORRR

THORRR Supporting Member Supporting Member

This is an interesting thread.

Fretboards have definitely gotten flatter over the years and I always thought I preferred the more rounded (smaller radius) boards, but I've played the flatter ones and like them equally as much.

All my basses have different radii and it seems I am able to adapt to whatever neck is in my hand. Can't say that I have a real preference. I play only 4 string Jazzes and they all feel great.

Since I don't do much string bending it doesn't seem to affect me one way or another. I'm interested to hear what other TBers like/dislike about flatter or rounder boards.

:bassist:

14. Randyt

Randyt Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Adult Pampers
    Outside of my stock fenders...all my customs are 17-22" radius..I play 6 string too!...i prefer the flatter radius..chording, soloing, ...just easier all round.???...just me?

15. Russell L

Russell L

Dunno what's wrong with me, but I like 7.25" best. My '87 Jazz Bass Special has it, and it has low, vintage frets which I also like better than the medium-jumbo ones you see so much nowadays. My '01 MIA Jazz Bass is 9.25" with medium-jumo, and it still plays great, and feels great, but if I had to have a preference it's 7.25" and low frets.

16. MD

MD

How is the radius measured (not that it would change anything)?

[​IMG]

17. THORRR

How is the radius measured? (not that it would change anything)

An easy way to visualize it is this:

Look at the end of your fingerboard sighting down the neck.

See the curvature?

Okay, imagine continuing that curvature all the way around into an imaginary circle.

The Radius is the distance from the center of that circle to the edge.

Example: a 7 1/2" Radius would be a 15" Circle

a 12" Radius would produce a 24" Circle etc, etc.

The larger the radius, the flatter-appearing the fingerboard is.

An exaggerated example would be a 1" broom handle which would have a 1/2" radius.

Hope this helps.

:)

18. Batmensch

Batmensch

Yeah, If I were to ever get a custom built bass, one of the criteria would be a fretboard with at least a 15-16 in. radius.

19. MD

MD

It doesn't, but thanks for the effort. :)

20. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

I prefer the 12" radius on my G&L basses, because it helps me play a little cleaner, and I think it facilitates lower action too. I'm perfectly happy with the 9.5" radius fretboards on my Fenders too, but I avoid the vintage 7.xx" radius boards.

21. THORRR

OOooooooooKaaaaaaayyyyyyy. . . . .
    I thought I couldn't be clearer.

Let me try and do better for you . . .

You know how a wooden barrel is made up of slats of wood all held together by metal straps?

Well the fingerboard is like one of those slats.

HowZat?

It follows the curve of the outside of the barrel.
    If the barrel is 24" across, then 1/2 that distance is the radius measurement. A 24" barrel = a 12" radius
    and that would be the designation given to that fingerboard with that amount of curve.

See?

:hyper::hyper::hyper: