Fret Buzz on 2/3rd fret

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by LJFryk, Jan 8, 2014.

1. LJFryk

LJFryk

Hello,
    I'm having some fret buzz issues with my Ibanez SR506 (6 string). I've had this bass for over a year and just started having this problem about a week ago. My G string buzzes a lot when I'm fretting on the 3rd fret and a bit on the 2nd. This problem is hardly there but noticable on my D and C strings as well. Otherwise all my other frets on all the strings are fine.

Just wondering if there;s a way to fix this myself. :help:

Thanks guys.
  2. mattattack187

mattattack187 Bass Enthusiast Supporting Member

Give the neck just a little relief by loosening the truss rod about a 1/4 turn.
  3. ionian7

ionian7

use folded up tin foil as a thin shim under the nut experiment untill you get the right thickness, i had the same problem on mine, after i lowered the action, same bass too.
  4. 96tbird

96tbird Supporter Supporting Member

Since OP has had this problem just lately after having the bass over a year, it's unlikely the nut is suddenly the issue. More likely that the neck is reacting to lower humidity of winter and needs a seasonal truss rod tweak. As said in the first answer just a little loosen of the truss should sort it out.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. pfox14

pfox14

Sounds like a seasonal problem to me too. Should be just a matter of tweaking the TR to get more relief.
  7. elBandito

elBandito

Check the neck for back-bow?
  8. LJFryk

LJFryk

Thanks guys, I'll give it a shot in the morning.
  9. lz4005

lz4005

Check the 4th fret to see if it has popped up. Do this before you adjust the truss rod.
    You may be able to tap it back down gently with a hammer.