1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

fret buzz when playing octave C's

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by vinnie6, Nov 26, 2012.

1. vinnie6

vinnie6

I have fret buzz when I play octave C's. 8th fret on the E string and 10th fret on the D string. The buzz occurs at the 7th fret on the E string. I was somewhat alarmed to discover this. So I went up and down the whole fingerboard to see if it happened with any other octaves and the answer is no. But I need this fixed because it is in a Bach piece I am working on and it is intolerable.

Obviously this is a neck or fret issue and not a bridge issue. Before touching the truss rod, though, I thought I'd solicit some help here. Any advice from anyone is quite welcome. The bass in question is my MIJ Geddy Lee Fender Jazz. I have DR Fat Beams on it. They are one month old.
  2. Jay2U

Jay2U Not as bad as he looks Supporting Member

There is another thread about this topic: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f18/diy-fretwork-630233/ In the second post there's a useful link. Taking some measurements reveals a lot about fretwork. If it isn't the fretwork, it might be caused by a little backbow of the neck.
  3. vinnie6

vinnie6

I tried an experiment before doing anything radical. I put the original strings this bass came with, Fender 7250s, and tightened the truss rod a bit to get proper relief. These strings have more tension. Buzz gone!! This Geddy likes higher tension strings.