1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Fret hand muting

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by MarshallNole, Jan 27, 2014.

1. MarshallNole

MarshallNole Supporting Member

I am trying to learn Sober by Tool. A big chunk of the song is a down up picking motion across all 4 strings with your 1st finger on 5th fret A sting, and pinky on 7th fret G string. D and D strings are open (drop D).

Once you do the down up you mute with your fret hand, but I am still getting some noise/reverberation when I try to mute.

How do I get better at this? How much pressure is required so that all sound stops when I mute?
  2. HoboCop

HoboCop

I play this song sometimes.. it is pretty difficult to mute it well.. I keep my hand as flat as possible and when I release the 2 fretted D notes I flatten my hand to mute the other 2 strings... it takes a little practice.

You also might be getting some harmonics in there.. they are easy to find at 5th and 7th fret.. check where you are laying your hand to mute to see if it's pretty dead there, and get more fingers on the open strings to mute more of the harmonics.
  3. t77mackie

t77mackie

Depending on where your muting fingers are you're gonna get different amounts of overtones. Try adjusting your hand a bit to get the least ringing. When I play the lick I end up defretting and using my whole hand to mute the strings. You've gotta be skilled enough and familiar enough with the lick to do this cleanly.

If you're really losing sleep over the ringing you can try using a noise gate. But those things tend to add a whole new set of problems.

Good luck.
  4. casper_morgan

casper_morgan

chances are if you're just laying one finger across the strings, you're going to get harmonic noise... so I try to lay at lest 2 more down as to block any reverberations or harmonics.