1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is still pending approval by Apple. If you haven't yet, try using your mobile browser - TalkBass is responsive to any screen size.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Fret issues with 1972 Fender Musicmaster bass.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by adammhanna, Nov 19, 2012.

1. adammhanna

adammhanna

Hello all,

I have recently purchased a 1971 Fender Musicmaster on eBay, which looks amazing and I got it for a great price!

However I think there is a problem with the fret, when I play 2nd fret on E the note it plays initially flat then sharpens to the F#.

I have played all the other notes and they all seem okay, which scares me because I believe that if it's not the strings then it would be the fret wouldn't it? And that would obviously devalue the bass whilst setting me back quite a bit.

I haven't changed the strings yet but I will be when I get time.

Thought I'd post on here because I have been trying to google it but as it's quite specific i'm getting nowhere so if anybody knows anything about this i'd really appreciate it.

There is a picture below, not for any reason I want to show how lovely it looks, as it's about all it's got going for itself at the minute. Hope to gig soon with it now!

[​IMG]

Go easy on me this is my forum cherry, thanks.
  2. George Mann

George Mann

It is most likely related to the 2-saddle bridge.
  3. capnjim

capnjim

Nice little bass. You might want to try a new string. If it was ever banged, the string can get a little flat dent which will make it buzz. try raising the action at the bridge as well.
    Cheers
  4. JimB52

JimB52 User Gold Supporting Member

Can't help with the mutating F#. Your bass looks great, though. I have a 71 Musicmaster as well, in white, with a changed PU. They have nice necks. Feel like a mini-P bass.
  5. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

just a thought, but check the winding on the E string. make sure it's wound downwards, so that there is downward pressure on the break angle. sometimes if the string isn't wound correctly, it can create funky nuances in the intonation and/or tone of the notes
  6. adammhanna

adammhanna

thanks for your comments guys. should of posted after restringjng really but I will order some tonight and let you all know. will have to get it looked at with a techy either way as I'm not so confident with messing around with basses. will keep you posted!
  7. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

That's a pretty bass. I have a 74' MM. I have not had issues like you say so my thoughts are the strings, change them, set it up and it should go away.