1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

fret markers or dot placement

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by deafman, Oct 29, 2011.

1. deafman

deafman

I am just returning to the bass after a nearly 20 year break. I have a 1978 fretless P bass neck on a J bass body (year unknown). The neck probably doesn't have 5 hours of playing on it, just a few small chips in the varnish from bumping a chair. I would like to have some more dots put on the top of the neck so I can more easily figure where my stiff fingers go. I might even just use a sharpie marking pen. Looking for a paper scale so I can figure out where the dots or marking pen goes. The local music store doesn't want me to pull out a tape measure. Any help wil be appreciated.
  2. roberthabraken

roberthabraken

If you use http://www.ekips.org/tools/guitar/fretfind2d/, you can export a PDF with the desired scale length, go to a copy shop and plot it on A0 (or whatever size is sufficient). That's the quickest and cheapest way I know of.
  3. deafman

deafman

Using my scale of 34.1" I was able to figure out the exact placement. The given measurements line up with the existing octave markers.
  4. etoncrow

etoncrow (aka Greg Harman, the curmudgeon with a conundrum) Gold Supporting Member

use a tuner to locate your spots...
  5. Dirk Diggler

Dirk Diggler

Also on a fretless I would suggest putting the dots on the fretline not in between, much handier IMHO.
    Dirk