1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

fret markers or dot placement

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by deafman, Oct 29, 2011.

1. deafman

deafman

I am just returning to the bass after a nearly 20 year break. I have a 1978 fretless P bass neck on a J bass body (year unknown). The neck probably doesn't have 5 hours of playing on it, just a few small chips in the varnish from bumping a chair. I would like to have some more dots put on the top of the neck so I can more easily figure where my stiff fingers go. I might even just use a sharpie marking pen. Looking for a paper scale so I can figure out where the dots or marking pen goes. The local music store doesn't want me to pull out a tape measure. Any help wil be appreciated.

2. roberthabraken

roberthabraken

If you use http://www.ekips.org/tools/guitar/fretfind2d/, you can export a PDF with the desired scale length, go to a copy shop and plot it on A0 (or whatever size is sufficient). That's the quickest and cheapest way I know of.

3. deafman

deafman

Using my scale of 34.1" I was able to figure out the exact placement. The given measurements line up with the existing octave markers.

4. etoncrow

etoncrow (aka Greg Harman, the curmudgeon with a conundrum) Gold Supporting Member

use a tuner to locate your spots...

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Dirk Diggler

Dirk Diggler

Also on a fretless I would suggest putting the dots on the fretline not in between, much handier IMHO.
    Dirk