1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a FREE Account to post and unlock tons of features!

fret markers or dot placement

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by deafman, Oct 29, 2011.

1. deafman

deafman

Oct 29, 2011
    sacramento
    I am just returning to the bass after a nearly 20 year break. I have a 1978 fretless P bass neck on a J bass body (year unknown). The neck probably doesn't have 5 hours of playing on it, just a few small chips in the varnish from bumping a chair. I would like to have some more dots put on the top of the neck so I can more easily figure where my stiff fingers go. I might even just use a sharpie marking pen. Looking for a paper scale so I can figure out where the dots or marking pen goes. The local music store doesn't want me to pull out a tape measure. Any help wil be appreciated.

2. Sponsored by:

3. If you use http://www.ekips.org/tools/guitar/fretfind2d/, you can export a PDF with the desired scale length, go to a copy shop and plot it on A0 (or whatever size is sufficient). That's the quickest and cheapest way I know of.

4. deafman

deafman

Oct 29, 2011
    sacramento
    Using my scale of 34.1" I was able to figure out the exact placement. The given measurements line up with the existing octave markers.

5. etoncrow

etoncrow (aka Greg Harman, the curmudgeon with a conundrum) Supporting Member

use a tuner to locate your spots...

6. Also on a fretless I would suggest putting the dots on the fretline not in between, much handier IMHO.
    Dirk