Fret rattle

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by GoofusPro, Feb 20, 2014.

1. GoofusPro

GoofusPro

I am a beginner and have a question about fret rattle or whatever you call that vibrating thingy after you pluck the string. (not fret buzz from horrible fret heights or neck warp but that rattle thing that seems to come from the lower part of the string where you actually pluck the strings and this annoying sound becomes audible after the initial sound comes out of the amp. it's that sound that becomes audible after the notes start to decay. Sorry I can't explain it better)

I've yet to purchase my own bass and I didn't notice this until my friend told me about it, but now it bugs the crap out of me whenever I hear a bass with this rattle thing.

My friend says using a different string, turning down the treble, upping the string height, refretting, shaving frets might do something but not guaranteed.

If I buy a bass with a low string action and there is fret rattle, must I set the strings higher? I don't want to buy a cheap pos but I don't want to spend a lot (more than 700 bucks) and have to set the string height so high that it becomes a pain in the butt to play.

Is fret rattle a characteristic of the bass that the manufacturers give to the bass that you come to love over time or is it some manufacture fault that needs to be corrected?

Thanks for your advice in advance.

2. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

In most cases, fret rattle is secondary to a bad set-up...and we get that a lot around here. Best thing you can do is buy the best instrument you can afford within your budget...to start with. Check the TB classifieds for the best buys. Not sure what you're looking for? Get back to us and we'll go from there.

Riis

3. GoofusPro

GoofusPro

Thank you for your advice. I had a feeling I need to get a decent equipment even if I have to wait an extra month or two. I just don't want to deal with fighting the equipment. Been there done that with other things in my life and it takes too much time away from practice.

Anyway thanx for your advice.

4. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Well, okay. When you're a little closer to pulling the trigger, let us know. We'll help navigate the obstacles. BTW, you can be confident in buying a used bass from any TBer as it undoubtedly will be the best instrument they ever owned...and if you can't trust a TBer, who can you trust?

Riis

5. Register to disable this ad