Fret tang issue

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by frankenp, Jan 20, 2014.

1. frankenp

frankenp Supporting Member

I'm refretting a Squier MIJ Contemporary Strat for a guitar playing friend.

I've got the frets pulled and slots cleaned. I've ordered pre-radiused frets (12") that seemed to be a perfect match. However, I should have pulled a fret to check the tang before placing the order.

The old tang depth is ~0.0660"
    The replacement fret tangs are 0.0500"
    Neck is Maple
    Tang width is ok for the .023" slot.

Will the tang not reaching the bottom of the slot be an issue? I'm assuming there will be a 0.016" gap noticeable on the fingerboard sides that will need to be filled. Should I abandon these frets and order something else?

Attached Files:

2. devo_stevo

devo_stevo

Disclosures:
    Builder: Brumbaugh Guitarworks
    They are fine structurally speaking. That small gap is not going to be an issue as long as the fret stays in the slot without being loose or anything. Just fill the end of the slots with some maple dust and CA glue and be happy.
  3. frankenp

Thanks. I'll make sure they are in place - I was planning to wick in CA from the fret ends anyway to help them stay in place.

This is my first full refret job. Just wanted to make sure this wouldn't be a problem down the road.
  4. pfox14

pfox14

How are you going to fit .050" frets into a .023" slot?
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. frankenp

0.050" is the tang's depth in the slot.. The slot is cut deeper than this. The .023" is the slot width.