1. Classifieds Rules, Usage Agreement, and FAQ

A Supporting membership is required to post items for sale in the classifieds

New posts to classifieds threads will only bump the thread once every 24 hours. Posts made before 24 hours since the last bump, will not bump the thread.

SOLD Fretless 4 string, custom USA handmade bass FS, the last one

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by jbybj, Mar 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jbybj

jbybj Supporting Member

Sold. In transit to the great state of Virginia.

Offered for sale is a Scroll model Wishbass serial #4. I did not say Wishbass in the title of the thread because I know there are some who harbor a bias against Wishbasses. To those folks I will admit that this bass retains many of the negative things you may associate with this brand.

This bass is almost completely stock, except for a minor alteration to the headstock, and the most important things to be done to a Wishbass, the leveling of the fingerboard, and shaping of the neck. 8 - 8.5 lbs.

Body: Unknown, probably some Local North Carolina fruit tree, but I don't really know.

Neck: Walnut, with Purpleheart and unknown? stringers, no truss rod. Typical Wishbass C neck profile, trimmed down by me to 1" front to back at the 1st fret position, and 1 1/8" front to back at the 12 fret position.

Fingerboard: Purpleheart, Leveled and 12" radius applied by Fren Asken of Asken guitars.

Nut: Corian, 1 3/4"

Tuners: Gotoh, chrome

Bridge: Corian floating bridge, 19mm string spacing.

Pup: Unknown MusicMan style humbucker

Controls: Volume and Series/Parallel switch.

The Good

The neck has been made to feel very comfortable, and the fingerboard is supremely playable, no buzzes or humps, and capable of very low action for lots of mwah. It's light weight and very comfortable on a strap or sitting down. If you are in the mood for some DIY shaping, sanding and oiling, you have a diamond in the rough here with lots of potential. If, on the other hand, you like things funky and different, (talking appearance here, not playability) then you have one of the best playing, best sounding entries into the land of fretless, at this price point, that you will ever find. In hand, this bass feels, and sounds, amazing.

The Bad

This is the fourth officially serialized Wishbass made. The pictures will show that this is a typical Wishbass, by that I mean the man doesn't care much about finish and visual finesse. The man hates to sand wood. He does care about making a great sounding bass, at stupidly inexpensive price points.

The Ugly

I know, ugly is in the eye of the beholder. I don't think it's ugly, the Scroll is one of my favorite Wishbass body styles. What it is, is "rough hewn". Especially in the inner surfaces of the top and bottom scroll cutouts. Hard to access with a file or sandpaper, so they are essentially cut with a jig saw and slathered in varnish. The headstock is off center to the neck, it's called personality, and the original headstock was beastly large. I cut a big chunk off the top, leaving a nice curved line, with the intention of someday giving this bass the full on reshaping treatment. That didn't happen. If you are the kind of guy/gal that owns a dragon rasp, and loves to make sawdust, you may very well have the time of your life with this baby. Don't forget, the neck and the fingerboard are in very nice shape. All you would need to do, if so inclined, is to make the body and headstock look pretty. If electronic modifications float your boat, there is opportunity for that as well.

The rest of it.

Local pickup, including a Roadrunner padded gig bag, $175. I will ship anywhere in the CONUS, with gig bag, well packed and insured for an additional $50 flat rate. You can pay me with Paypal, or Cash. You can hear this bass at 0:20 in this video.

And you can see the rest of the photos I took today, here:

http://s312.photobucket.com/user/jbybj/library/WB 004 for sale pix?sort=3&page=1

Thanks for looking, James

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2014
  2. Smashsquatch

Smashsquatch Supporting Member

Where is local?
  3. kerthump

kerthump Supporting Member

pretzel bump
  4. jbybj

jbybj Supporting Member

Los Angeles.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. jbybj

jbybj Supporting Member

This bass is on hold pending payment. Thank you.
  7. Smashsquatch

Thanks for working with me on it!
  8. Smashsquatch

Waiting on your PayPal info
  9. Smashsquatch

Payment sent
  10. jbybj

jbybj Supporting Member

Shipped. Thank you very much.