Fretless 4 string, custom USA handmade bass FS

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by jbybj, Mar 30, 2014.

1. jbybj

jbybj Supporting Member

Offered for sale is a single cut Lobe model Wishbass. I did not say Wishbass in the title of the thread because I know there are some who harbor a bias against Wishbasses. To those folks I would suggest that this bass retains none of the negative things you may associate with this brand.

This bass has been modified and refinished in TruOil by me. 9.5 - 10 lbs.
    Body: Black Limba
    Neck: Walnut, with Purpleheart and Maple? stringers, no truss rod. Typical Wishbass C neck profile, trimmed down by me to 1" front to back at the 1st fret position, and 1 1/8" front to back at the 12 fret position.
    Fingerboard: Rosewood, with Mylar covering. Leveled and 12" radius applied by Fren Asken of Asken guitars.
    Nut: Corian, 1 5/8"
    Tuners: Grover chrome
    Bridge: Hipshot A style, brass, black, 19mm string spacing.
    Pup: DiMarzio DP 123 humcanceling Jazz pickup
    Controls: Volume and Stellartone Tonestyler 16 position LPF

The Good
    The Black Limba is very striking with big stripes of dark brown. The Singlecut Lobe balances very well on a strap and is comfortable resting on your leg as you sit. The bass has been sanded, subtly reshaped, and finished with about 12-15 coats of TruOil. The upgraded DiMarzio and Tonestyler give one a wide array of classic single coil tones. The hipshot upgrade offers all the advantages one might imagine, over a floating Corian bridge. The Mylar covering is an ingenious, easy to apply, easy to reverse, durable protective coating that approximates the feel and sound of epoxy. If so desired, you can string this up with round wounds with no fingerboard gouging. In hand, this bass feels, sounds, and looks amazing.

The Bad
    Nothing, not a single bad thing to say about this bass.

The Ugly
    When switching from a stock floating Corian bridge, to a fixed, adjustable bridge, the new bridge usually requires that it be recessed into the body, to allow for proper intonation and height adjustments. When routing the bridge recess, there was a small oops, resulting a little loop in the route, shown in picture below.
    When moving the output jack to the side, there was some splintering when the hole was drilled. See photos.
    The stock Corian bridge utilizes strings through the body. When I installed the Hipshot, I filled the holes with wood epoxy. These patches are visible on the back of the bass. See photos.

The rest of it.
    Local pickup, (Los Angeles) including a Roadrunner padded gig bag, $500. I will ship anywhere in the CONUS, with gig bag, well packed and insured for an additional $50 flat rate. You can pay me with Paypal, or Cash. You can hear this bass at 2:28 in this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63FSRWoI3bU
    And you can see the rest of the photos I took today, here:
    http://s312.photobucket.com/user/jbybj/library/WB 1195 for sale?sort=3&page=1
    Thanks for looking, James

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. tmoney61092

tmoney61092

That is the first single cut bass I've ever looked at and wanted...how about trades?

3. jbybj

jbybj Supporting Member

Glad you like it. She is Purdy. Trades go counter to all my goals currently. Not only do I need to make more space in my closet, I'm trying to raise funds for a custom order.
    I am always willing to hear reasonable offers. If you are on the West Coast I could probably cut some of the shipping costs as well. Thanks for your interest.

4. jbybj

jbybj Supporting Member

I bump, that I might sell………………..

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. jbybj

jbybj Supporting Member

I will be taking this bass off the market. I raised my funds elsewhere and get to keep this one.