1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Fretless 6 string

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by byronkowalski, Oct 29, 2012.

1. byronkowalski

byronkowalski

Hi all, this is my second build, its an (unintentionally) Carl Thompson inspired bass.
    Specs are;

6 String Lined Fretless
    34” Scale Length
    Bolt on Neck

String Spacing:
    at nut; 8mm
    at bridge; 17.5mm

Body Composition:
    15mm core of walnut
    2 X 5mm layers of ash
    10mm front and back of bocote

Neck Composition:
    10mm central piece of maple
    2 x 15 mm strips of walnut
    2 x 5 mm strips of maple
    2 x 20mm strips of sapele
    cocobolo fingerboard
    bocote headstock veneer
    double action truss rod
    2 x 6mm diameter carbon rods for extra strength

Hardware:
    Hipshot ultra-lite machine heads
    Hipshot A-style bridge

The body will be heavily carved, where the second lines are, to give a stratified effect as the laminations are revealed, the headstock will be veneered with the same bocote as the body and will be similarly carved.

So far ive got a neck cut and one layer of ash glued to the walnut.

Any questions, comments, suggestions are welcomed

On with the pictures.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    designs
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    neck
    [​IMG]
    the 2 ash layers of the body
    [​IMG]
    Walnut being glued
    [​IMG]
    first body lamination

2. Smilodon

Smilodon Supporting Member

Are you sure that headstock will hold?

There isn't much wood at the top part of the headstock, and most of the wood that is left is removed when drilling the hole for the tuning pegs.

3. roberthabraken

roberthabraken

Also, your tuners wil stick out more than usually and may not even fit that close to each other. Don't want to spoil the fun, but I would advice a little mockup here first.

I like your body design btw, very cool!

4. byronkowalski

byronkowalski

I think There'll be enough, at least i sincerely hope so. im pretty much commited to at least trying it at this point :)

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. roberthabraken

roberthabraken

Is there enough room for the tuners to fit next to each other?

7. byronkowalski

byronkowalski

I did a mock up earlier in desiging using drawingsof the machine heads based on hipshots dimensions, and my tech drawing of the headstock design, and they fit then. But now im questioning it again, Ill check again when i get back to the workshop, which unfortunately wont be till next week, and if they wont, some clever remedy will have to be found,

P.s. thanks for quick replies, probably shoulda started this thread while i was still designing :D

8. byronkowalski

byronkowalski

Also i could use some advice on the neckpocket as ive never made one before, is the theoretical neck pocket i have marked on the body design valid/ feasible. The idea is to have 5 bolts in that pocket.

9. roberthabraken

roberthabraken

Absolutely, mine is a lot smaller. This should work very well.

10. JoeDeF

JoeDeF

If I were going to use that headstock design, I would thin the headstock core a bit and laminate carbon fiber sheets on both sides of the core, sandwiched between the core and your headstock veneers. Also, I would epoxy a strip of metal (brass?) along the long straight diagonal. Those would both help your design to be more stable, and might even look cool (I like the idea of a sleek, straight brass bar as contrasted with the mostly very curvy lines of your design).

If you have trouble fitting the tuners in as your design currently stands, you could keep the straight-line string paths you have now by reducing the angle of the the straight edge, so that it is a little closer to parallel to the run of the neck.

11. Big B.

Big B.

The B and E strings generally arent the highest tension strings. I actually think with the laminations that will probably work fine as long as the tuners fit.

12. byronkowalski

byronkowalski

So today i glued the second layer of ash to the walnut. Its clamped up doin its thing tilltomorrow.

I also checked the machine head spacing using a tracing from hipshots site, and to all appearances they will fit quite happily on there.

13. byronkowalski

byronkowalski

So the ash is joined to the walnut and ive begun some preliiminary neck shaping. Waiting for truss rod and fingerboard to arrive so at a standstill for a few days.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. James Mobius

James Mobius

interesting design, that upper horn seems a bit outscaled, could be neck heavy, but ya gotta experiment!

15. byronkowalski

byronkowalski

some pics of wood.

first the bocote ill be using for the front and back, then the cocobolo for the fb

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. byronkowalski

byronkowalski

fingerboard is slotted and cut, almost ready for gluing to the neck, however im still lacking a truss rod cause fedex lost them on me, very very annoying, ah well on with the show.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. byronkowalski

byronkowalski

so i managed to veneer the headstock, i had some real trouble making trhat veneer work, i had to bend it to match the curve on the headstock. Hard work but it worked out pretty good in the end.

Unfortunately i still havent got my truss rod, thank you very much fedex. so progress is somewhat impeded until then, but i have the last bits of wood so i can finish putting the body together and start carving soon.

Anyway, pictures...

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

18. byronkowalski

byronkowalski

This will be the bocote top, didnt end up as thick as i would have liked, only around 7 mm, i may add an extra layer to the body to make up the extra thickness, we shall see

[​IMG]

19. Musiclogic

Musiclogic

Disclosures:
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    Awesome bookmatched Bocote

20. byronkowalski

byronkowalski

Thanks! im really happy with it.

21. byronkowalski

byronkowalski

So after spending the last few days gluing up the rest of the body laminations, today i cut the shape out on the bandsaw, thickness of the bocote isnt exactly even but ther wasnt much i could do about it. Very happy with how its coming along, looking forward to starting carving next week.

front
    [​IMG]

and back
    [​IMG]