1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Fretless bass help

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by benchpress11782, Jan 29, 2013.

1. benchpress11782

benchpress11782

Hello all. I have a warwick corvette fretless, and I am looking for a clean tone with no hissing. I go from my bass to my gt-10 to headphones mostly. Sometimes to an amp also. Wondering if I need a di box to clean up sound. Hissing also comes out of an amp. I don't believe it is the bass itself. Thank you all

2. ddnidd1

ddnidd1 Supporting Member

Do you still get the hiss when the bass is unplugged from the other electronics?

3. benchpress11782

benchpress11782

No. Just tried playing on my garageband app on ipad. Once I unplugged was silence. Plugged in was annoying hissing. Bridge pickup is set out, and FB pickup is set in.

4. benchpress11782

benchpress11782

Same on amp and pedal board. Only h hiss when plugged in

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

You get hissing from the bass through your amp and ipad? Is the bass active or have an active pre-amp? Have you tried to change the battery.

7. benchpress11782

benchpress11782

Their is no battery. Passive I believe

8. seamonkey

seamonkey

Try turning the bass way up, and volume on the headphones, and interface way down.
    That should boost your signal over the noise floor

9. benchpress11782

benchpress11782

Noise still their. As long as bass is plugged in I have the noise. No matter what I do

10. eukatheude

eukatheude

Are you using decent cables? Have you tried playing in another room?

11. benchpress11782

benchpress11782

Cables gold tipped fairly new. Another room? Sometimes if I rotate the bass pointing the pickups down, it silences a bit. Another room?

12. ddnidd1

ddnidd1 Supporting Member

Then its not hissssss, its external noise (interference) being picked up either due to single coil pickups, poor or non-existent shielding, or both. Also, passive electronics don't generate hiss.

EDIT: I didn't see the reference to the pedal board. Make sure you're doing all your tests without the pedal board.

13. 1954bassman

1954bassman

I would think you will always hear a hiss wearing headphones, and playing through an effects pedal.

14. BryanM

BryanM Supporting Member

Try setting the volume equally on both pickups. I've seen some jazz style basses that were poorly shielded that will hum when the pickups are not set evenly because of the reverse wound, reverse polarity wiring. When the volumes are even, the hum cancels out because of a balanced magnetic field. When the volumes are different the field is unbalanced and so the interference creates hum. I'm no genius, though, so anyone is welcome to correct me if I'm wrong.

15. eukatheude

eukatheude

Are the pedals battery powered, or you use an adapter? Anyway, if it silences when you point it down, it's picking up interference.

16. benchpress11782

benchpress11782

So what will create the interference? Any electronic device? When I plug bass direct into amp and still get humm, what you make of that? Prob poor shielding? Soo I prob need to get it checked out. What about plugging it into the ipad, did that create an interference or other electronic devices? Guess I will bring it into guitar center tech. Thank you all for your help. Are warwick corvette fretless known for poor shielding? How could I troubleshoot to know for sure? Pedal has no battery, does it matter? And adjusting bass didn't cancel out humm.

Thanks again.

17. seamonkey

seamonkey

It is likely a shorting jack on the input, when nothing is plugged in the input shorts to ground. And everything is quiet.

Plug in the bass, and this opens up the input. It still sounds like you have something set with too much gain too early in the effects chain.

Doesn't the GT-10 have noise gate?

And to square. If you're young you might have better high frequency hearing than say somebody older, and half the people at GC won't be able to hear it. Try headphones that aren't so good. :)

18. benchpress11782

benchpress11782

But it happens going direct into an amp with no effect pedal. Just bass to amp. Still humm.